Through The Window

Excellence Award in the 'Play On Words 2021' competition

‘What is that old lady doing?’ I wondered; I had seen her every day for the past month just staring out of her window, she looked very sad and overwhelmed. Was she waiting for someone or something to come? Was she expecting something to happen? Thoughts were running through my head, but I couldn’t possibly think of what she might be doing. I decided to make her some cookies and drop them at her front door, when I saw she wasn’t at the window I returned to see if she had taken them and sure enough the only thing left was a small thank you note. Every week I went and dropped something off at her house, sometimes it was flowers sometimes cake and sometimes cookies. Each time she would leave a thank you note, but today when I went to collect her thank you note there was another note next to it. I waited till I got home to open it, once I was in my room, I opened the letter. It said...

Thank you so much for the gifts!
Would you like to come over next week for some biscuits and tea?
From Margaret Sanders

I was a bit sceptical about going to someone’s house that I had never met before, but she seemed nice enough so next week I made my way to Margaret’s house. As I stepped inside, I was amazed. Her house was spotless, there was not a spot of dust inside. The flowers were perfect, not a petal missing. Once we had settled down with biscuits and tea, she asked me how school was going and how I was at home. I was a bit nervous to ask her why she sat at her window all day, but soon got the courage. “My son went to war, so I am waiting for him to come home.” Margaret explained. Tears were starting to fall down Margaret’s cheeks, so I decided to change topic.

I needed to think of something that would give her company and make her happy, then it hit me! My cat had given birth to 6 kittens so maybe I could give her a kitten. I ran downstairs and told mum my plan. She thought it was a great idea, so we went to the pet shop and got extra supplies for the kitten. When it was time to go, I retrieved the most affectionate kitten so it would keep Margaret company and carefully placed it in the cat bed. I was so excited to give Margaret the kitten, I knew she would love him. I knocked on the door and waited for Margaret to open it. When she did her mouth dropped open and she started crying.
“This is for you.” I said.
“Oh my gosh, thank you so much! This is amazing! Come inside.” Margaret replied. Margaret named the kitten William after her son. She had an instant connection with William. This was the beginning of a new, happy relationship!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!