The Exciting Elevator Ride

Maddie pressed the lift button continuously. It was her first day at work and she was already late. She was glad that one of the lifts was an express lift that would bypass all the floors between the fifth and the twentieth. It would allow her to reach the office in a much faster time.

When the lift doors finally opened, Maddie stepped in and hastily pressed the button for the twenty-fourth floor. She tapped her foot impatiently as the doors were closing. The lift began to rise. After it passed the fifth floor, it seemed to be zooming upwards. However, halfway through, there was a thunderous clanging sound of metal before the lift came to an abrupt halt. Maddie's eyes widened in fright. She pressed the yellow alarm button furiously. Immediately, a shrill ring penetrated the silence. Maddie was certain that someone in the building would hear her.

Before long, she heard the faint sounds of voices and the banging of doors. People had heard the alarm! She would be saved! Maddie began shouting and banging on the doors to tell them that she was trapped in the lift. However, she soon realized that being in the express lift meant that there were no means of escape for her until the twentieth floor.

Her legs felt like jelly and a tingling sensation ran down her spine as she fell to the floor, uncertain if she would even get out alive. However, just when she thought that her situation was hopeless, the lift gave a jerk and shot upwards. Maddie slid across the floor and she had to grip the floor to prevent herself from being thrown about. The ascent was so violent and rapid that she thought the lift was not going to stop until it shot through the roof of the building. However, a few seconds later, it thundered to a stop on the twenty-third floor.

The doors slid open and a group of people from the lift maintenance crew to office staff stared at her with concern. Getting to her feet, Maddie stumbled out of the lift. She straightened her clothes and hair. She tried to regain her composure but her hands were still trembling and she had broken out in a cold sweat. Smiling weakly and nodding at everyone , she assured them that she was ok. Whilst being late she rushed off to the stairs and never went in an elevator ever again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!