Journey Under The Sea

Phoebe was a bubbly ten-year-old but she was bored. “Can we go snorkelling today?” Phoebe asked her dad “Sure.” He replied. They collected the snorkels, hooked the boat to their car, and packed swimmers. They drove 15 minutes to the boat ramp at the beach. Phoebe’s dad got the boat in the water. They spent a short time cruising to the deeper water and got changed. “Can I please swim now?” Phoebe asked her mum. “Sure” said mum, ‘’stay close to the boat.’’
Phoebe cannonballed off the boat and swam into the ocean. Then she saw someone, then they quickly disappeared. “Hello” Phoebe murmured nervously through the snorkel. A girl’s face appeared shyly between some coral. Phoebe realized she was a sea nymph. “I’m sorry I scared you,” Phoebe whispered. The girl responded to her in a musical voice “I’m lost!” “I wish I could help but I don’t know who you are or where your home is,” Phoebe replied. She checked above the water and could see her parents untangling the fishing line. “If you put on my necklace you can breathe under the water and we can find my sister.” she said. Phoebe felt nervous. “What’s your name? And how would I get back?” “My name is Calypso, When we find my sister I can give you something to make sure you get back safely” she said. Before Phoebe had decided, Calypso took off the aquamarine necklace she was wearing, she swam over to Phoebe and hung it over her neck. Calypso grabbed her hand and swam so quickly downwards that Phoebe felt her snorkel slipping off and floating away. The stopped in a canyon, with only a small amount of light from the sun above. Phoebe and Calypso were quiet for a minute. Phoebe asked Calypso “Do you know how to get home?” Calypso sighed. We live near a rainbow tree amongst fish with a yellow fin. Phoebe thought. Then she exclaimed excitedly ‘’I have seen them before, they’re called tuna. But they live in many places in the ocean. But I’ve never seen a rainbow tree in the ocean.”
Calypso was thoughtful, then said “The rainbow tree is in a canyon just like this one.” Phoebe turned on her waterproof watch, and flicked through some photos. “Could the tree look like this?” Calypso look at the photo on her watch and a huge smile spread across her face. She looked hopefully at Phoebe. “Yes!” Calypso exclaimed. “Do you know where it is?”
Phoebe thought back to the start of the afternoon. “We passed it on our way here. It can’t be far.” They swam towards the reflection of the sun. Calypso looked around. Phoebe swam towards the light. Calypso followed and suddenly a head popped out of nowhere. ‘’Thank you for helping!’’ Calypso’s sister Merida exclaimed. Calypso gave Phoebe the ring then waved. Then she suddenly appeared on the boat. “Where’s your snorkel?” mum asked. Phoebe just smiled and looked into the water.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!