Kidnapped!

When I woke up that morning I knew something was wrong. Every morning of the school holidays, I would happily wake up to the kettle boiling, and if the weather was nice , birds happily chirping. Neither of those things are happening , even if a small ray of sunshine shone through my small window above me. The house was strangely silent. I looked at the clock: 8:00am. I quickly grabbed my warm fuzzy dressing gown and comfortable slippers and hurried down stairs; being careful not to wake my sister. I couldn’t see anyone bustling around the kitchen or curled up on the couch with a cup of tea and a book. I put the kettle on and went back upstairs to Mum's room. I hoped she wasn’t sick. It was the first day of the school holidays after all. I opened the door quietly and slipped in. No one was in the bed and the blinds were firmly shut. I checked every room of the house, including my sisters, which I checked as silently as possible. Mum wasn’t here. I knew Dad was at work and Mum would never leave me and Mia alone, even though I was 15. I called Mum . No answer. Nan. No answer. Probably still asleep. Dad. Busy. I left a message for Dad and made her two hot chocolates, and took them up to Mia's room.

When I went in, Mia sat up happily and took her hot chocalte with joy.
“Can we walk Dug after pancakes?” she asked happily.
“Maybe not pancakes because Mum's, um just buying something. We wouldn’t want to have pancakes without her.” I lied.
“She never leaves us alone.”
“Well Mum changes her mind about things about things a lot.”
“Maybe because now I'm ten?”
“Yeah.”
She smiled warmly at me.
“Come on get dressed and we’ll walk Dug.” I said.
“OK” she gave me her hot chocolate and bounced out of bed, skipping about getting ready. I took the mugs downstairs and got ready, continuously checking my phone.
“Ready!” Mia called.
Mum would be back before our walk ended. It would be fine.

Not fine! After returning from our walk Mum was still not home.
"Ding!" went my phone! It was a message from Dad: "I was in a meeting. Call?"
I instantly called Dad.
“Dad, where's Mum?” I ask before he can say hi.
There's no response. I start to freak out even more.
“Stay in the house. Don’t go anywhere.” he says before hanging up.
I went up to Mia’s room and suggested a movie to her. Once Mia had been sucked into the movie I went into the kitchen and paced about. Finally, after what seemed like hours, the garage door opened. I couldn’t help it anymore. I burst into tears and ran to the door but instead of seeing Dad I saw Mum. She had tears rolling down her face and was clutching a bashed-up arm bleeding bright red blood. She was panting hard and once she saw me her tears ran even faster down her face.
Just before collapsing she whispered, “They’re coming.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!