Will Brander Meet His Parents?

Will Brander meet his parents?
Brander’s crepuscular eyes glanced droopily over the deserted beach. His stick-like hand quivered- a permanent result of being crushed by surfboards. Torn and requiring the attention of a needle, his hazel-coloured vest, once loose and saggy, now barely fit across his bulging shoulders, now he had gained so much weight. After his parents disappeared searching for the mighty shark, tears threatened to break loose, as his old laughing self never returned.
Disappeared were the cockatoos that used to sing songs- night and day. The sand and shells used to whisper encouragingly, but now hummed a mournful tune, as though they could sense the presence of sadness. Seagulls used to flap their wings and fly around in a pattern, creating many images, now they had gone. Like the animals, the ocean and sand had lost the life it had, murmuring many sad melodies.
Holding the half-written letter in his fat, awkward fingers, Brander held his pen limply. Now faded, the picture of him with his mum and dad could only be seen very faintly. Words cascaded from his mouth, unable to reach the letter.
Crack!
A noise disrupted the singing of the wind. The whales dived deep. Still unaware of the potential danger, Brander thoughts began to plummet even deeper. Moving soundlessly from rock to rock, the intruder raised the ammo and fired in quickly, before disappearing onto a boat, that was parked between the ocean and the road.
Bang!
Shocked but unhurt, Brander glanced around cautiously. What had thrown this rock at him? Furthering his curiosity, Brander noticed a parchment, tied onto the rock. Carefully, he untied it, and what was written burst his heart.
“Brander we love you and are still alive. Take care and we will meet you again one day. Mom and Dad. Meet us at the usual spot”
Tears showed up like unwanted relatives. “I’m cooooming” Quickly standing up, he pocketed the note and started to waddle as fast his shaking legs would go. He wondered how he would get there.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!