The Housekeeper

Sebastian Li let his guitar slip from his fingers and back onto the corresponding stand. He collapsed onto the freshly made hotel bed and exhaled deeply. He’d just finished busking at his sixth location and hadn’t eaten since breakfast. He thought back to the schedule his assistant manager, Jaylin, had slipped him that morning and groaned internally. He wouldn’t be able to visit his mother for a decade. Sebastian missed his time spent at his grandparent’s house, though it was a struggle to get along with his cousins at first. He’d worked on his fifth album during his stay, but his brain only conjured up the painful truth of love that he had based his songs on.

Sebastian resented himself for letting his feelings for the housekeeper grow so intense. He understood that his attraction would forever be one-sided, but he found himself seeking comfort in the fake scandal articles suggesting that they were dating.

He braced himself to lean against the headrest and withdrew his phone. As he fiddled with the lamp switch, he heard the creak of the hotel door open and close. He peeked up to see his bright and bubbly assistant manager skipping over towards him, plastic bag in hand.

“The king of pop, you’re finally back! I brought you some food from the seven-eleven across the street since I know you haven’t eaten yet; I hope you’re in the mood for instant noodles!” She beamed, running over to set them down on the round table. Jaylin hauled a chair from the neighbouring desk and set it down, ushering Sebastian to sit across from her. Scrambling over to fish out the ramen, he noticed the packaging for the donut place they had discovered down the street, his favourite donut place.

Sebastian peered up at Jaylin and flashed his toothiest grin. He then ripped open the chopstick packet with his teeth, which landed on the floor.

Stretching for the chopsticks, Jaylin banged her head harshly against the table. Cautiously, she lifted her hand to her head, wincing as she brushed against the bump. Sebastian stood up abruptly, hands flailing around as he dashed over to Jaylin’s side. “Are you okay, Brainy? Where does it hurt?”

Jaylin swatted his hands away and chuckled, grinning up at Sebastian. “Brainy? I think you’re just a tad dumb. Remember that 47% in math, Sebastian?”

Sebastian smiled, ruffling her hair before he started inhaling his ramen. Mid slurp, the hotel door burst open, startling Sebastian enough to knock over his ramen into his lap.

Huffing and puffing, his manager sprinted over and rattled his phone in the air. Jaylin snatched the phone from his grasp and all colour drained from her face as her eyes followed the words on the phone. Sebastian reached out for it, letting out a shaky breath he didn’t realise he was holding.

“They took the housekeeper, Sebastian”. His manager said mournfully. “Pack your things and meet me at the airport in half an hour. We’re going home”.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!