How Snails Got Their Shells

Long, long ago, in the dreamtime lived a slow, slimy, snail and a furious, furry, fox. One quiet and fine day, when fox was leaving his home, slimy snail greeted him good morning. “Good Morning? Nothing good to this morning. I just got kicked out of the house by my mum!!” fox replied while looking around aimlessly.
“I’m down here!” snail giggled, while fox was still searching for snail. Fox looked down but he still couldn’t see the voice’s owner and was getting more annoyed by the second.
After seeing Fox’s annoyance face, snail asked fox to wait. Snail then bulleted, although very slowly, to the farmer’s autumn leaves. After a few minutes, “There you are! you were camouflaged, That’s why I couldn’t see you!” Exclaimed fox.
It then dawned on snail the reason why the other creatures always ignored him whenever he greeted any of them. It was because he was invisible to them! So snail apologised to fox for the confusion and soon they became fast friends.
Everyday onwards, they became fonder of each other and a very strong bond forged in between them.
When winter arrived, the autumn leaves started to disappear and snail was having trouble to stay visible for his fox friend. There were even times when snail was nearly flattened by his friend!
Fearing for snail’s safety, fox and snail went to seek advice from the weary, waddling, wise wombat. “Hello. What bring you here today?” He asked politely. So, both fox and snail explained their situation to wombat. After a long ponder, wombat finally answered.
“You both have to go into the deep end of the forest and find the biggest tree there is. Planted Underneath that tree, there are shells of different shapes and sizes. Choose one for your dear snail.”
Both fox and snail quickly thanked wombat and set off to the deep end of the forest. It took them days before reaching the tree. Snail was exhausted and so was fox. But fox was determined and continued on digging for the shells that wombat had told them to find. Finally, as told, all shapes and sizes of shells were revealed. Snail tried out each one to get the best fit. Fox was over the moon that finally his friend snail is visible and won’t be stepped on accidentally.
Before they make their journey home, fox had an idea to collect all the shells there is to give to all the other snails. And so, fox collected as much as he could carry home.
Hence, that is how snails have shells!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!