LUNA’S ADVENTURE

Excellence Award in the 'Play On Words 2021' competition

One cold winter day, an owl family was snuggled up warm in their nest. All the owls stayed in the nest, except for Luna. She is the smallest and youngest owl in the family. Luna has brown fluffy feathers, but they are still too small to flap and fly. Luna’s biggest dream is to explore the outside world. So, every day she tried to escape from her nest to have an adventure.
Today is the day. Luna jumped off from the nest to the branch and she landed with a thud on the ground. “I finally did it!” she exclaimed with joy. Luna hopped on towards the river. Every day she watched the river flowing beautifully from her nest. ‘Now is the time to really splash in that river,’ Luna thought to herself. She hopped along, sniffed dandelions “A...ATCHOOO.” ‘Aw, those flowers are very tickly,’ she thought.
Luna dipped her wing in the shallow water. She felt cold. She jumped in, splashing in the cold water. “This is so much fun,” said Luna and she started singing out loud. “La, la, la, la, I love my adventures. Don’t listen to your parents, la, la, la, la, la, la...”
Suddenly a giant crocodile emerged from the water. Luna flapped her wings; trying to fly away... they were too wet and too small. Her feet were too cold to run. She looked around for help. The crocodile opened his big mouth and swallowed Luna.
Everything became dark and felt squishy. She was sliding down a dark passageway, the deeper she went, the darker it got. She landed in the crocodile’s tummy with a soft splash. Luna whispered softly “Hello, is anyone there?” No one answered. She felt sad, scared and helpless. She wished she never left the nest. Luna wondered how her parents are feeling. Indeed, the entire owl family was worried and looking for her.
All of a sudden, Luna thought of a brilliant idea. If she could tickle the crocodile, it would burp or vomit her out. Then she can escape. First, she started jumping and splashing in the crocodile’s tummy. Nothing happened. Then she started tapping on the crocodile’s tummy with her beak. She heard a rumbling noise. Maybe I can be out; she started jumping and tapping and making noises faster and louder. The crocodile’s tummy began to squeeze her up and all of a sudden, she was pushed up and out she went with a big “BU...RP!!”
Luna landed on the riverbank with a thud. She could not believe what just happened. She is alive and only to be hugged and welcomed by her family who had been searching for her on the riverbank.
She cried with happiness, hugged her Daddy, and said, “I should have listened and stayed with you.” Daddy hugged her and said, “You had your very own adventure and I am glad you are safe with us again.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!