Escape Me Now

“‘Come on Liam, it’ll be fun,’ Jacob says loudly, over the noise of the theme park, walking towards the looming mansion.
‘I’d rather not, you know how I am with these things.’ The group groans collectively, rolling their eyes.
‘Relax, nothing’s going to happen.’ I look up at the haunted escape room contemplating my choices. I could either let everyone down or have nightmares for the next week. I sigh.
‘Fine. But I'm not going first... or last. I swear to God if something happens…’ Overwhelmed with triumph, the group cheers as I'm being pushed towards the mansion. What am I getting myself into?

We approach an employee, who tells us the rules and guidelines of the ‘experience’ (his words not mine). He then escorts us through the main entrance and into a hall, where another employee dressed as a hotel receptionist sits behind a desk. I turned to thank the first employee but he had disappeared. Chills shot through my spine.
‘Come closer,’ she speaks in a whisper. We do as she says and quiet down, trying to hear her every word. ‘The hotel is under lockdown. You need to follow the hall, and people will show you where to go from there.’
‘Thanks, Ma’am,’ Jacob says, but the lady hushes him frantically. Suddenly, two men burst out from around the corner, with guns and scream to put our hands up.
‘HANDS UP WHERE I CAN SEE THEM. UP OR I’LL SHOOT.’ We cooperate and the men force us into a small room, locking the only door from the outside. The walls are a bluish-grey and tiles line the floor. The room is completely empty, apart from 2 empty picture frames, hung on the wall opposite the door, and a cardboard box with a candlestick telephone resting on top.
‘Ok… that was a little scary.’ I say, assessing the situation.
‘Ha, no kidding.’ Jacob says, looking over at the rest of the group.
‘So we need to get out of here right?’ Liv asks.
‘Well it’s an escape room… what do you think?’ Slight aggression in his tone. Jacob gets aggressive when under stress.
‘Ok Jacob you need to calm down, and we need to get out.’ I say. Of course, I have to be the leader. It happens every time. ‘Jacob, Maddie and Eli, you go examine the box, Livvie you’re good with old things, you go check out the phone. Brooke, you’re with me. We’re going to see if there’s anything with the frames.’

While everyone is scrambling to find a clue or something, without warning, the only door cracks open.
‘What happened?’ Waves of unease fill my conscience. Bullets rain through the open door. It all happened so quickly. Before I knew it, there was nothing but bodies around me. And then… then there was pain.”
“Oh, honey. I’m so sorry. It’s all ok now. Everything is going to be ok.” I nod and head up a white staircase, towards a door labelled ‘The Afterlife'.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!