What Lies Below

The rusty, weatherbeaten boat swayed gently in the early morning breeze. Birds flew overhead announcing the arrival of a new day. The water beneath her sparkled a deep turquoise as the sun began to rise, expelling the cool darkness which had engulfed the night. An old weathered woman emerged stretching from below deck. She whistled a merry tune to herself as she pulled the heavy barnacle encrusted anchor out of the briny water causing dark ripples to blemish the smooth surface.
She turned and began hauling a slimy net out of the sea. From it emerged 4 measly fish at which she clucked her tongue and threw back into the water, “som’thin out there’s been eatin’ all the fish”
The sun glowed a fierce orange burning angrily down onto the small metal boat. Hauling the net back overboard. She wiped her brow with her rough weatherbeaten hand and went back into the small cabin below deck. It was dark and had a certain dampness which seemed to be cemented into the tin walls. There was also a peculiar aroma of fish and someone who had been living there for quite some time, apart from that it was a simple, small room with a bit of battered furniture placed haphazardly around. She strolled over to a moldy armchair and sat down resting her feet on a pile of unmarked journals, the radio next to her which was emitting an irritating noise squealed loudly, with an exasperated sigh she grabbed it and began fiddling with the knobs. Words flitted in between the bursts of static ‘boats… disappearances… rumours of…’ with an annoyed grunt she placed it back on the table and switched it off.
The boat gently rocked back and forth as the heat of the day subsided to a sluggish humidity, a soft singing filled her ears and dulled her senses “pro’lly just a whale”, she closed her eyes as the heat and quiet waves lulled her to sleep whilst she drifted further and further from the shore.

She jolted awake as the boat gave an alarming lurch, cursing she jumped to her feet and ran outside. Foamy waves crashed onto the deck, as the weather had taken a turn for the worse. Briny water sprayed her face as she struggled to lift the sodden fishing net from the raging waters.
Still clutching the net she scrambled to the helm and grabbed the wheel, attempting to speed away from the monstrous waves but something was pulling the boat down. Dashing outside she leaned over the edge of the boat and gazed into the dark murky water, she gasped as thousands of tiny green lights zig-zagged just below the surface.
“witchcraft” she spluttered as they slowly pulled the boat downwards, she suddenly became aware of the song from before, it calmed her and filled her senses with relaxation. She slowly leaned further and further over the side of the boat, ignoring the raging storm crashing into the deck around her. The song filled her senses as the lights drew her in closer and closer until she touched the glowing water.
Before she knew it she was submerged. The song was no longer soothing and friendly. It screeched and wailed like the souls of those being tortured. She tried to scream but salty water entered her lungs as the lights dragged her down far into the depths of the ocean where she was met by darkness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!