Elindell

Elindell used to be beautiful. It was the most magnificent city in the known realm and I was the ruler. Not anymore. Now it's in ruins and it's because of me. I’m the one who stepped down and gave my brother, Kearon, the throne. I kick the dust fiercely. I can’t believe I was naive enough to simply hand it to him.
I pause and take a slow breath, trying to create the illusion that I’m ok. But I can't forget that the destruction is my fault. To distract myself from this suffocating thought I try to recall the way the city used to look. The grey houses were jammed together haphazardly. The buildings were built hundreds of years ago but had been fixed up over time to create a clash of modern and ancient architecture. The cobbled streets that wound between the buildings had signs hanging from rusty hinges which proclaimed street names in fancy, looping letters. I remember the delicious smells of food that always made my mouth water. I remember the way the streets remained alive late into the night and were always busy early in the morning. The activity gave my city a life that I would never have wanted it to be without. A quiet voice in my head accuses me, saying I’m the reason the life is gone. I clench my teeth and try to dispel the voice.
It was the castle that was the crowning glory of Elindell. It used to have towers of silver that brushed the sky and glistened in the sunlight. There were grand arched windows beside which Kearon and I used to sit and chat. There were once elegant staircases leading down to elaborate ballrooms and when I was younger I used to peek at the dances that were held there when I should have been sleeping.
But my most vivid memory of the castle was a year after I gave Kearon the throne. The soldiers had dragged me to the courtroom and I didn't have to ask why. Kearon had discovered my plot to overthrow him. I’d face at least banishment for my crimes, if not worse. But I didn’t regret it. I had to try to stop Kearon before he killed all my people and destroyed Elindell. Still, standing there, completely at his mercy, my heart pounded. I couldn't help wondering if he cared enough to spare my life.
“I heard you’ve been conspiring against me,” he spat.
“Yes,” I confirmed, looking straight at him. “I have.”
“Then I must banish you.”
And that was that. I spent the next three years in exile. Those were horrible years of constantly watching for news, years of desperately wanting to return, but knowing I had to wait. And finally, I got the news of Kearon’s death. So I have returned to my city and through all the whirling emotions, one thought stands out among the rest. Elindell used to be beautiful. And I’m going to bring back that beauty.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!