The Story Of Medusa And Athena

A long time ago, in the city of Athens, Greece, lived a gorgeous woman named Medusa. Even compared to all the other beautiful girls there, she was still praised by being the prettiest. But Medusa was not so kind on the inside. At a young age, people complimented Medusa about her looks, and soon, she started to boast about her beauty, and soon, they got out of control.

One Tuesday morning, Medusa whispered to the gardener that her hair was a shimmering golden lake that cascaded down her shoulders. The next week, she spotted construction workers endeavoring the tiring journey of building a sculpture for her neighbour’s house and teased that they will never be able to create an artwork as dazzling as her.

When Medusa had nothing to do, she would admire herself in her mirrors. She would stare at her reflection on the street windows as she saunters by. Even during dinnertime, Medusa found herself looking at her beauty on the silverware.

Medusa's thoughts about her brilliant beauty spread to everyone around the city, until she made her first trip to see the Parthenon. With intricate decorations and stunning sculptures, it was built to honour the goddess Athena. Upon entering, people would be greeted with massive paintings of Athena. It was a spectacular place that astonished everyone, except Medusa.

The human-sized sculptures that stood outside the Parthenon were beautiful, but Medusa whispered under her breath that they would look much prettier if she was the subject. She would comment on the work of the painters and sculptors, but rambled on about how her unparalleled beauty would far outweigh Athena’s.

Upon reaching the altar, Medusa sighed heavily. “My this is a beautiful temple,” She commented. “It’s a shame it was wasted on Athena for I am so much prettier than she is. Perhaps someday people will build an even grander temple for my beauty.”

Some visitors' faces looked like they had seen a ghost. People quickly departed the temple, afraid of what Athena might do, except Medusa, who kept gazing lovingly at her reflection through the glass windows. The Parthenon soon emptied out, leaving Medusa still enjoying herself.

“Vain and foolish girl,” Athena hissed through gritted teeth. “You think you are prettier than I am! I doubt it to be true, but even if it were there is more to life than beauty alone. While others work and play and learn, you do little but boast and admire yourself.”

Defending herself, Medusa protested that her beauty blessed those around her, but Athena silenced her.
“Nonsense,” She growled, her anger waiting to explode on Medusa. “Beauty fades swiftly in mortals. It does not comfort the sick, teach the unskilled or feed the hungry by my powers, your loneliness shall be stripped away completely. Your ate shall serve as a reminder to others to control their pride.”

Medusa gasped as she felt her hair tangling together as snakes formed through the twisted mess.
“Medusa, for your pride this has been done. Your face is now so terrible that the mere sight of it will turn a man to stone.” announced Athena. “Even you, Medusa, should you seek your reflection, shall turn to rock the instant you see your face.”

With that, Medusa was sent to seek life with the Gorgon sisters, the blind sisters far away from others so that no one shall be harmed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!