Story Of The Lost Eye

In the streets of Doncaster there was a big, quiet nursing home, which was home to an old man who lived an ordinary life with an extraordinary past. The old man was frail and had a frightening glass eye, which no one spoke of. As he went to prepare some tea, a ring from the door startled and stopped him, as he opened the door he could see a small teenage boy with a smile as white as pearls.
“Good morning, Grandpa”, the boy said with joy
“Hello, Xavier, how are you?”, he said hugging his grandson
Xavier escaped from his grandfather’s tight grasp walking towards a couch nodding.
The man noticed his grandson was not alright
“You know what Xavier, take a seat I’ll bring some tea”.
As the Old man sat down handing the cups he noticed Xavier looking at his eye, the man smirked
“I lost it at war”.
Xavier was intrigued, “what happened?”.
*The grandfather sighed*
“It was the year 1940”
Xavier instantly visualised gunshots, bombings, and dead bodies at every corner. As he looked among the soldiers a man with blonde hair looked extremely recognisable, it was his grandfather, or as in those days General William.
Though a voice quickly startled the young boy, it was his grandfather shouting at the soldiers, “Men, RETREAT!”, and out of the dust a hoard of men running back to the trenches, though William was held back by a limping soldier, then out of nowhere a ‘BANG!’, The General was shot.
Later, William wakes up in the enemy’s trenches, with a light flashing into his eyes,
A man with dark hair approached the General, “So you think you can destroy my greatest weapon and get away with It, ha, never”,
He then took out a knife putting it on William’s neck, “Tell me Where the tank is or you die”,
William looked up at the man, “I’d rather die then hand over my country”
The man was boiling and threw his knife in retaliation, “OK very well, I’ll see you in prison”.
William then had his head covered, unable to free himself he just closed his eyes and slept.
Two hours later William was put behind bars , and was standing in front of 10 soldiers ready to fire, he tried to run but was blocked at every angle, then after the signal was given the men started shooting, in the midst of the crossfire William’s eye was shot, he was then picked up and thrown out onto the ground left to die. When the soldiers left a woman came from the bushes, she brought William to her hut, where she cares for him, she patches him all up and gives him a glass eye. The thought of life was then quickly ended by a bomb, the woman dies though William stays alive.
Unable to finish the story William stops and Xavier runs over to his grandfather and hugs him, “It’s alright”, whispered Xavier.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!