Starry Nights

Mbali was a young girl living with her family in a small village in the heart of Africa.
Mbali loved learning about the history of her village. She had heard so many tales from the village elders about her ancestors but she felt in her heart that she needed more than just stories. She wanted to connect with her roots.
Mbali decided she wanted to sleep under the stars alone down by the river's edge. After some nagging, her Mother, Mama Lindiwe agreed that Mbali could go but there were 3 rules. Mbali could only go as far as the river and no further. She needed to make a fire before the sun set to keep wild animals away and she needed to be back the next morning before the sun reached the top of Lombombo mountain.
Mbali thought carefully about what she was going to take in her bag. Some food, water, something warm to keep the chill off her chest and a sheet she could use over her head as shelter. Mbali felt brave. She wanted to spend one night surviving the way her Grandparents and Great Grandparents had.

Mbali left the village with her bag on her back just after sunrise and reached the river before midday and set up camp.
After spending the afternoon exploring her surroundings, Mbali realised the sun was quickly setting. Remembering her Mother's rules, she started gathering wood for a fire. She reached into her bag and felt for the matches. They were not there! Mbali didn't know how to light a fire without matches. As the sun set and darkness surrounded her, she tried to stay awake as long as she could but finally drifted off to sleep.
Suddenly she woke up, looked out towards the river and saw a familiar face. An old lady who looked just like her mother called out to her. She said, "You must be cold Mbali, let me show you how to light a fire". With some sticks and dry grass, the old lady rubbed the wood together and like magic, smoke and then fire appeared. Before long, Mbali and the old lady sat warmly together and talked about the village and its amazing history.

Mbali didn't remember falling asleep and as morning came, she woke up, felt the warm fire and remembered the old lady. As she packed up camp, she noticed hyena footprints in the sand! The fire must have kept them away.
As she started the long walk back to the village, she thought about her night. Did she really wake up? Was it all a dream? Who was the old lady who made the fire? She decided it must have been her grandmother watching over her and keeping her from danger.
She arrived home just in time. All Mbali told her Mother was that she had connected with the stars and she was happy inside. Her Mother smiled knowingly and hugged her tightly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!