I WANT TO GO TO THE SCHOOL

Nazo(Nazia) lives in a small village “Dhurnal” in district Chakwal of Pakistan. She has 3 brothers and a little sister. All the inhabitants of village are mostly farmers. Nazo’s mud house has a very big backyard where they play,eat and sleep. Her mother has planted vegetables and fruits in a small garden .They have a very big pen house with 25 hen and chicks.

Nazia helps her mother in house chores and cooking.While her brothers go to school.Nazo has three friends nick named Shado(Shahida), Fifo(Afifa) and Shabo(Shabnam). They all are 9 years old like her. They play on little pond near the village. In the big pond women wash their clothes whiles boys swim and cattle bathe. Girls play on high swings tied to tall trees beside pond.

Nazo wants to go to school like Munshi ji’s daughters. She tries to convince her Aman(mother) every time but Aman always refuses and says, “Why you want to go to school. You should learn house chores and cooking . These all skills will help you in your husband’s home. Schools are for boys because they have to work to earn money.” Her Dadi(grand mother) joins Aman and adds that “Once girls start earning money then they become bossy to their husbands.It only results in divorces.” Poor Nazo has no answers to their propaganda. But her heart knows that something is not right.

At the pond Munshi ji’s daughters Farzana, Farah and Faiza tell stories of school and how fun that is. Nazo and other girls have learnt simple mathematics and read ‘English and Urdu’ from Farzana. Farzana loves to teach her friends.

One afternoon Abba(father) is discussing over lunch with Aman to buy 3 goats and planning on how to save money in upcoming months. Nazo is hearing all this conversation. She suggests to buy Buffalo rather than 3 goats. Nazo suggests,“Abba,buffalo gives double milk than a goat.One buffalo will be easier to take care of and look after. One buffalo will be of same price as of 3 goats. Buffalo milk is thicker in consistency and we can also sell extra milk. We can make cheese and butter from it .You have to save Rs.15000 per month for 5 months to buy a buffalo costing Rs.75000.” Abba is very surprised and asks her as how she knows this. Nazo replies that its Munshi ji’s daughters from whom she learns it. Abba is so impressed by Nazo even though she doesn’t go to school.

On the dinner Abba surprises everyone that Nazo will now on go to school like her brothers.She will get admission tomorrow morning. Abba has not only convinced Aman and Dadi but also all villagers that girls also has the right to get education like boys. Education makes a person more sensible, wiser and intelligent. Now Nazo and all girls will be going to school. Nazo dream has finally come to true . She and her friends will learn and enjoy school like boys.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!