$1 Meal

“Thanks,” Olivia said to the cashier on her way outside after getting her muffin from a nearby café. While walking, she took a bite from her muffin and spat it out immediately because it was so bitter and tasted like dirt. ‘What did l just buy?’ She thought. Since her office was close-by, she threw the muffin in an alleyway bin next to her office as there was no way she could eat the rest.
A bit later, there was a loud rustling from behind. Curiously, she turned and saw a woman taking out the muffin Olivia threw from the bin. She took it to a corner and bent to take off a bed-sheet revealing 2 small, skinny, crying kids who looked like they hadn’t eaten for days. The woman halved the muffin and gave it to the kids. They stopped crying from hunger and started eating as their mom sadly smiled. Pangs of guilt hit Olivia as she turned around because if she kept the muffin, she could’ve given it fresh instead of her picking it up from the bin. Taking a deep breath, Olivia went in her office.
After coming back from work, she got out plastic bags and containers from the kitchen cabinet and placed them on a table. Then, she cooked some daily food such as rice, eggs, and chicken in whatever quantity she had. Once she was done putting them in containers and a lot of water bottles since many were unable to drink clean water, she also added some sweets for the children. After organising for a long time, she felt tired and drowsy so she went to bed.
The next day, Olivia got up early, ate breakfast, and wore casual clothes. Picking up packed food, a foldable chair and table in her car, she drove to an area where needy people were living. Once reached there, Olivia started setting up the food stall. Next, she took out a speaker and shouted ‘One Dollar Meal’ repeatedly.
After an hour of waiting, Olivia became tired and thirsty so she sat down and drank water. She started packing up because it was all hopeless as she didn’t get any response. ‘Why did l even think of these?’ Thought Olivia. While putting everything back in the car, she heard a tiny voice behind her.
“Are you giving meals for $1?” A little girl said.
“Yes, do you want some?” Olivia asked.
“Can you please wait?” With that, the girl ran somewhere and came back with hundreds of people. They formed a long line and waited with a dollar in their hand. Smiling, Olivia went back to selling her food. While doing so, she was shocked to see so many people were there and whenever someone received their food, they flashed her smiles and joyfully said ‘thank you'. Olivia found her real happiness on that day. She also realised that a lot of people have nothing to eat while those like her have food, they just waste it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!