The Zombie Pandemic

My name is Saffron. I am 15 years old, and the world was ending.

Dramatic? Maybe.

Well, all homes slammed shut. The shops closed, the roads emptied, sounds of engines and smell of fumes vanished. Schools emptied. No sign of life!

Wondering why?

Every night rotten bodies were hunting, creating an army, leaving icky goo whilst their burnt devil-like faces haunted every being. Heard of Covid Zombies? Perfect time for superheroes to come to the rescue, but it was silent on that end.

Now I know you’re wondering how?

We all know that making humans with superpowers doesn’t always end well, right? But this was the biggest mistake in all of history! Apparently, a mix of plutonium and polonium with a splash of hydrogen effectively made a whole lab of people in China contract the Virus Covid! To make matters worse, while running away from the billionaire gangsters that were trying to kill them, they spread the virus to everyone they passed which morphed into zombies in a few short hours! Hence, the worldwide crisis of Covid Zombies began.
Meanwhile, I was doing what I did best, studying for an A+ for science. In my hometown, up until now, there was no sign of the Covid Zombies. Suddenly, we all heard sirens blaring, my dad snatched the remote off my little brother’s hands and turned on the 11am news, “Australia under attack, Covid Zombies Invasion!” We looked outside to witness the army’s arrival with their MASSIVE weapons in our quaint suburban village.

Shocked, I sat staring at my favourite Harry Potter pen feeling totally helpless. I had no defense against a Zombie making Virus! Sudden flashback to a newspaper article “Lab experiment failed in China…” We must reverse the Virus. I didn’t have the ingredients, but I knew that the school did. I called the police, but they had no time for a 15year old nerd. I had no other choice but to tell my parents.
Next morning my parents took me to the school, they had little faith but they preferred this over killing Zombies or waiting to be infected. Armed with kitchen knives and covered from head to toe we entered the school lab and I immediately started working on the formulated vaccine.

We heard Covid Zombies marching down the hallway, my parents bolted the doors and pushed against it. ‘One last drop’, I thought in my head and quickly poured the vaccine into a bottle and sprayed it on myself and my parents.

Nervously whispering, “Well here we go, the ultimate test!”

As the Zombies crashed through the doors, I quickly sprayed them, but they kept coming! Total fail!

The zombies suddenly paused, stumbled, “AAAAAAAAAAARH!” deep and painful cries then silence.

My heart was pounding out of my chest! Dead skin dropped to the ground and soon there were tired humans staring. One of them asked, “What happened? Where am I?” My parents hugged me, and we laughed in relief. I responded, “Well the world was ending…”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!