Thrown Away

Sitting on a dainty china plate, Mara looked out sadly into the street milling with people, and thought to herself “We were happy where we were.” When know one was looking, Mara took the opportunity to quickly glance around and have a look at her surroundings. A hand painted sign read: Garage Sale! Everything must go! Rina was clinging onto Mara's arm like a limpet, ears hung low and her eyes heavy.

Mara looked longingly at the pink bedroom where she belonged. She tore her eyes away when she heard someone approach. Suddenly, Rina was yanked from Mara’s arm and tossed into a wicker basket. Coins were thrown onto the table and… Rina was gone. A tear rolled down Mara’s cheek and she quickly wiped it away. More people began to walk towards the table, pointing at toys, suitcases, clothes…

A horrible thought struck Mara’s mind. What if everyone was taken, accept her? What if her human family discarded her like she was a piece of rubbish? She could be stranded on the streets for the rest of her life!

Negative thoughts were starting to seep into Mara’s mind like poison thoughts, killing her from the inside out. She took a deep breath. This wasn’t like her. Mara was calm and collected. This person who had replaced her was negative and dramatic. Maybe all of the stress built up over the years was finally tipping her over the edge? Losing her parents had hit her hard, after all.

No! She thought furiously. I am letting matters get over my mind. Mind over matter. Mind over matter. My human family would never get rid of me.
How wrong she was...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!