Behind The Glass Eyes

She sat in the chair as pale as a ghost, frail to the point she could blow away in the wind. She hadn’t moved from the chair in 17 years. What put her there? Everyone knows. But it’s a story so frightening, so horrifying, that the tale is not often told.

The story begins in the summer of 1984. A group of friends, Kimberly, Susan, Mark and Scott, all 18 at the time, decided to go camping in the Daintree Forest. They planned a week of camping, yet only after the first night did they realise the mistake they had made. There was no way of contact where they were headed, no form of direction besides what only a paper map could provide and after one day of hiking, the group was in tremendous pain.

The group set up camp for the night before their next exhausting day of hiking. The fire was starting to flicker out and with that Mark wandered off to find some more wood. Only minutes after he had left Kimberly, Susan and Scott, they heard a bloodcurdling scream. The trio ran off down the track to where they found Marks disfigured corpse lying in the dirt.

After little sleep and the questions they had swirling in their thoughts, the remaining friends decided to turn around and return home, yet as Kimberly tore through her baggage she noticed that the old paper map they had relied on for their direction was gone.

The horror struck as the three of them acknowledged they were lost. With no sense of direction, they decided they could only attempt to find their way back home and with that, they spent another long day hiking.

As it was time to once again set up camp the three friends made sure they stuck close together, but as Kimberly announced her need to relieve herself she wandered away from the group and Susan and Scott once again heard a dreadful scream. Susan burst into tears, Scott holding her tight as they didn’t dare to search for Kimberly’s body. They spent the night wide-eyed and not daring to leave each other's side.

Susan and Scott had yet another day to hike, another day to, hopefully, make it out alive. But, that night has never left Susan’s memory as Scott was the next to be torn apart by the devil that had been following them on their trip.

She spent weeks, or maybe even months, searching for a way out of the forest until one day she came to the edge. She has never been the same since. And never will be.

So, as Susan sits in her chair at Belmont Private Hospital, with the reminders of those terrifying days scarring her for life, you can see behind her glassy eyes the horrors that she endured. Those cold, lonely nights in the forest spent on her own, not knowing what attacked her friends, or why it didn’t return for her.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!