Fall In Berlin

Rosie understood the grayscale of emotions and obscured but still with her, Karl plodded. They listened to the sounds of each other's heels clicking against the pavement below. Attempting to stay with one another as each walked their own path in silence.
Trees shed their leaves creating a pool of warm rich colours beneath. Rosie dragged her hand against the rough barrier which divided her family. Leaves neatly swept into a mound to her left. Awaiting children hand in hand to leap into the heap dispersing them and painting the path an earthy colour. Different colours smeared her vision as time wafted, but the harsh reality remained monotone.
The cool breeze picked debris on and off the path altering it every time. Crisp leaves crumbled underneath the weight of Karl’s sorrows and seclusion. He admired Rosie’s freedom. He just wished that through the gaps of the wall a small ray of that sun, just a glint of hope could seep onto him. Happiness just bloomed over, he recalled the colour that painted the city. The reminiscence added more weight onto his shoulders as he continued to trudge alongside the inordinate partition.
The iron curtain that draped over the city suffocated him and closed him in the dark. It provided a new warmth, one not as familiar and enticing as the sun. He found himself becoming invisible, unrecognisable as he merged into the communist life. Motivated to push through the upcoming winter. It was an absurd thought to Karl, almost animalistic. Slaving throughout the day unaware when the predator will strike.
“Do you plan to come over for mamma’s fall celebration?” Rosie asked delicately. Karl’s quick temper. Nonetheless, she continued. As if she was throwing spaghetti on the wall to see if it sticks.
“Mrs Wagner and her daughter will be coming. They arrived last week from Friedrichshain. Perhaps you knew them?”.
With his shoulders hunched, he kicked at the leaves becoming increasingly agitated. “They passed the Checkpoint in a car… no one even questioned it!”
He couldn't just stroll through the checkpoint. And he couldn’t attend Mama's annual celebrations or birthdays or anything. Every time, sweet little Rosie came proclaiming the same, irking her brother.
With autumn now here, like the rusty leaves, she lost colour. Rose’s Berlin sun couldn't help anymore. She listened to the leaves. The louder the crunch, the more force the brittle lead faced. Her voice was now meek, aware of her brother's silence. The knot in the pit of her stomach didn't even compare to that of the rope above Karl.
Karl lifted his gaze off the path and onto the grey cement. Instead of meeting cold matte eyes, the hideous slab of grey concrete stared back.
Both returning home with a wall wedged between their heart and mind.
Leaves continued to sprinkle onto the path lighting up Karl’s way home and adding new pigments into Karl’s world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!