Finally Free

I can’t believe we are leaving this place – the place I have called home for eleven years. I have so many happy memories here. My childhood. But I know this is for the best.

I squeeze my mum’s hand and look up into her eyes. I can see that she fears the new journey ahead just as much as I do. My mother is like my best friend and knows what I feel and think. She has always been here for me and I will never forget all the sacrifices she has made for me. I will always be grateful for her.

Turning my head, I see a large ship waiting for us and thousands of other people too. There are so many other families beside us, looking frightened and wondering if this is the right decision. I give a few people a smile to let them know that this is the right choice.

My mum squeezes my hand back to let me know that I am safe and she is here. We take our first steps on the ship, feeling the anxiety of all the families pushing past us to get to their seats. We take our seats and wave a final goodbye to our home.

As the ship sets sail, I feel the waves going up and down underneath us. Like a rollercoaster, the ship and my emotions heave. The fresh, salty breeze of the ocean wafts through the open window and makes me feel better.

After all, I have been through, is it finally over? I turn my face towards the window and stare into the horizon. In my heart, I just appreciate that it is all done. The call of the horizon makes me dream of the new life that we might yet have. My mother and I look at each other. She smiles softly and whispers, ‘’Free.’’ I look back at her with tears in my eyes and give her a hug. For the rest of the journey, we are silent, being thankful that we are free.

As we finally arrive at our destination, I hear the ship sound its horn. We slowly get out of our seats, waiting until our aisle is clear, then make our way down to the deck. As eager as everyone was to get on the ship and leave their woes behind, they now hurry to disembark and begin their new life. I am so petrified of this new world that we have walked into.

We walk off the ship, up the jetty and towards a sign that says, ‘Welcome To Australia.’ I look up into the bright blue, clear sky. I smell fresh spring flowers. I suddenly feel safe. I look at my mum and she is gleaming with happiness, as are all the families around us. I know we are not alone.

No more sadness, no more feelings of terror. No more smoke, no more war. For now, a future full of hope and happiness awaits.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!