Falling

I woke suddenly with a jolt. A great stench crept all over the house. And as each second passed it got stronger and stronger. I scrambled off my bed to grab the baseball bat that I hid behind my door. Who knows what the stench was, I was hoping it was just a rat, but still, I wanted some protection. I walked cautiously trying to find where the stench was strongest, thinking that would be where the stench was coming from. I stepped into the living room when I heard someone breathing. My first reaction was to turn around to see who, or what, was there. I saw a shadow, and then, I saw nothing.

It feels as if I have been falling for hours, weeks, months even. Waking up from being unconscious with a throbbing headache, then seeing I was in a hole, that may never end for all I know, full of blue and black swirls was not a fun surprise. I dont think it’s a hologram, although it could be. The swirls keep coming, I could easily not be moving right now, just floating, but I really don't know.

My arms feel paralysed and are stuck to my side. My legs won't move either. Now is the time I wished I slept with a watch on as my little sister did. Time doesn’t feel right here. To be fair, nothing feels right here. My head was running with thoughts and questions but I forced myself to clear my mind.

I felt someone's presence, although I couldn’t hear or see anyone. I’m just imagining it, I thought, nobody is here, I told myself. but a few seconds later I heard a voice. “Hello” they said. I was taken by surprise, I knew that voice, but where from? And then he stepped out of the shadows. My brother. who died 2 years ago. “Long time no see” he said with a smirk on his face. I had always longed for the news of his death to be a rumour, I always hoped I'd see him again, that he’d come back. I just hadn’t imagined this being how it happened.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!