Fall And Rise

BOOM!!! It began to rain mini rocks and dust over us again. I pulled my face as close to my thighs as possible, hoping no one was wounded on the field. All in the trench quickly turned around, almost in sync, our heads were closely held to the ground holding our machine guns in each of our hands. My palms were as sweaty as could be as I waited for the ‘fire’ calling. My forehead continuously dripped as if it was a broken tap, producing nothing but sticky sweat. Then suddenly… FIRE!!! My index finger automatically pulled the trigger, as my eyes were looking ahead. All I could see was a blur. No particular aim or target, just blur.

The long, loud day finally came to an end. My friend Clifford and I shared a dugout in the ground. “What a day,” Clifford said, as he plonked onto his bed. “I know”, I replied, taking off my heavy gear. “Ya have a coffin nail?”. “Sure do mate”, I replied handing over a cigarette. “Thanks Syd” he replied looking up to the low dirt ceiling. It was silent. There wasn’t much to say. I lay down on my bed, covered in dried up mud, thinking about the day. Abruptly a heavy burden hit me. “I have wounded someone today”, I whispered to myself. “I, 19 year old Sydney Paterson, am a murderer!”. Clifford’s head turned “you alright there Syd?” he asked just before he took a big suck on his cigar. “Yea mate, I’m good” I replied, trying to act as ‘normal’ and as I could.

Clifford was now asleep, and so I should have been too, however, the thought of being a murderer just couldn’t get off my mind. I knew I had to use my sleeping time wisely, as I would have to be up and ready by 5 in the morning. I closed my eyes, rested all my muscles and forcefully put myself to sleep. Hours later I opened my eyes, and as quick as half a second I was dressed and on the field. I didn’t feel right, not that I ever did on the field anyway. The thought of being a murderer made me guilty. I ran with the other soldiers straight ahead. Even though loud bombs and millions of snipers noises were surrounding me, It seemed silent to my ears. It felt as if I was in outer space, alone, silent and in slow motion. I physically was there, but mentally wasn’t.

I was suddenly distracted, as I began hearing a faint yelling. “Syyyyyd!!!” I heard from a recognisable voice. It wasn’t Eddie’s nor was it James’. Then it hit me, “Clifford!” I yelled, starting to panic. I was jogging into the unknown as dust was everywhere, making it harder to spot people. I thought I found him, however, when I squatted down and rolled the man from his side, it was another of many dead bodies. All I obtained were countless traumatic views. Only if….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!