Facing The Flame

The path is easy to find. Ringed by rough-hewn pebbles and willows bowing their downy heads, as if acknowledging the sorrows buried deep within the soil. Everything-the traffic and people and the grief that washes over me like a river wave-fades, replaced by birds stilled in their branches and the slow, rhythmic gurgle of the creek.
Her grave: Veronica Hope. Two dates. A birth.
And the day I remember.
Mrs Hope was beloved. She gave wise advice and listened carefully to our schoolgirl worries ( mine was a lack of direction ). She always made our days brighter with her flame-coloured mane swirling with her laughter, her talk.
It was sweltering that day, I remember, as we marched through a preserved forest simmering with heat. The fields crackled with tension, dry winds sweeping through like ghosts.
I was chatting when Mrs Hope ground to a halt.
The dust flickered. My heart went utterly still, a gun cocking to be released.
There it was: a curl of blue flame.
The fire, as if spotting the terrified class, sprinted our way-and an extraordinary scream tore from Mrs Hope’s lips.
‘Run!’
I barrelled through the trees as a tremendous roaring, like thunder, filled my ears. My heart jackrabbited; the class hurtled onto the bus, wild-eyed.
But the fire licked across the landscape and paused, a hungry dog slurping at its jowls-and continued to hunt.
My eyes closed. Tell my parents I love them-
Then I glimpsed Mrs Hope, guarding us. Her features were fierce, smudged with blood and ash as she shouldered a fire extinguisher, spraying a ferocious line of water into the flame. Making a last stand. The air filled with blood and ash.
The fire truck roared around the bed just as I slid into darkness.
It was too late to save Mrs Hope, though. Her lungs-battered by exhaustion and smoke-gave out. Not even she could stop it: Mrs Hope, who had shown the most bravery I had ever seen; who had saved twenty-eight children from death; who was commemorated with a little maple tree.
And I finally sob. Ever since her death, I’ve bottled up the guilt. I might have been able to save her. Now her husband is hollow, her children are distraught, and all her parents do is cry.
‘I’m sorry, Mrs Hope,’ I whisper. ‘I couldn’t save you.’
Nothing. But a voice, kind and understanding: She died protecting you: the children that she loved to teach. She was a hero.
Let go.
‘I forgive you.’ For protecting us when life is so hard sometimes. ‘I forgive myself.’
I know what I want to do now. I want to be a teacher.
For the first time since Mrs Hope’s death, I feel glad to be alive. I sit there in a golden shaft of sunshine, heart swelling with gratitude for the mentor who gave her life to protect us, her knowledge passed through generation after generation like a blazing candle.
And the maple tree is in full bloom.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!