The Great In-between

Finalist in the 'National Treasures 2022' competition

On the 3rd of April 1851, I died. I don’t know how, and I don’t know why.
Surprisingly, dying doesn’t hurt. I can’t adequately explain the feeling but it’s a bit like falling and flying all at once.
It was my 13th birthday and I had just woken up, excited for the day ahead. I sat down in front of my mahogany dresser and began brushing my chestnut hair when I suddenly felt a heavy pressure in my temples, like someone was pressing their hands heavily against my head. And then everything went black, and I woke up in this peculiar, dark place.
I look up. Black. I look around me. Black. Everything is black except for the crystal clear water lapping at my ankles. And below my feet is emptiness, nothing, oblivion.
“H- Hello?” I stammer “Is anyone there?” Silence. The seconds tick by slowly. I look around again, hoping to see some glimmer of light in the darkness. Nothing.
Finally there is a deep, low growl. “Why, hello there, young one” says a voice in the darkness.
“AH!” I scream “Who’s there?”
But before I can speak again, “Oh! How rude of me!” says the voice, in a slightly less intimidating tone. “I forgot to introduce myself. I am the Keeper of the Great In-between, and this is - well, the Great In-between,” says the voice.
“What is this ‘Great In-between’?“ I ask, confused.
“The Great In-between is the borderlands between heaven, hell and earth. When most people die, they pass through here without stopping. But every once in a while, someone pauses in their journey, someone special who could change the course of history. Those people get a choice” explained the Keeper.
“Wha-” I start to ask.
“The choice of whether you go back to your old life, the one you left too soon, and live out your time there, or you become a soul and inhabit a new person’s body, and we will meet on this day every year until you find the right one” finished the Keeper.
“Oh” I breathe.
“So what will it be?” the Keeper asks.
I pause, trying to take in everything the voice has told me. “Before I decide, I have one question: if I choose to be a soul, will I return to my time?”
“Ah” replied the voice, “That I cannot answer. You will live in the past, present and future, wherever it is that you’re supposed to be, and you will live the lives you need to, in order to fulfil your destiny.”
“Hurry up, young one. What is your decision?” asked the Keeper.
I thought for a moment and weighed up the pros and cons of both options. “I have decided” I say, and suddenly, two doors appear in front of me. One is labelled: Life, and the other is labelled: Soul.
I approach my chosen door.
“Thank you” I say into the darkness.
I slowly turn the door handle, and step through.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!