Wahine Mata Toa (Female Warrior)

Wahine Mata Toa (Female Warrior)
The Birdman Competition was held at the sacred village of Orongo. Tribes would come from far and wide to witness who will become the new Ariki Mau. Ariki Mau was considered sacred, and no one could touch or approach him. Ariki Mau’s tribe would have plenty of food for the next year. Tiare knew that she wasn’t going to be Ariki Mau because she was the assistant, and the assistants don’t become chief.

The competition had been running for years, but not always. Before the Birdman cult, the people of Rapa Nui would calve Maoi, who represent past ancestors. Since the Maoi were made from wood and weight 86tons. The people of Rapa Nui used up all the resources making the Maoi. Therefore, the People were stuck on the Island of Rapa Nui. So, they started the Birman competition, they would honor Make-Make deity of fertility.

The wind blew softly past Tiare’s face as she wait at the start line. The salty scent of sea spray lingered in the air. The sound of waves crashing in the distance. Butterflies raced through Tiare’s body. Her heart beating uncontrollably. The race was about to determine her future. The weight of a tribe’s existences on Tiare’s shoulders. Sweat dripping of her clammy hands. Bang! The race has begun!

The cliff was as big as a 100 Maio’s stacked on top of each other. And as sharp as a blade. Competitors were dropping like flies. With every new obstacle came one less competitor. The water was on the peak of the horizon a wave of adrenaline swept over Tiare! This was her specialty Tiare is like a dolphin in the water. The race was starting to get intense Tiare and a few other contestants landed on Motu Nui. All she could hear was the white tipped terns squawking. Everyone was frantically scaling the mountain trying to find the sacred egg.

Until Tiare saw a lump sticking out of the grass, camouflaged in the distance. A glimmer of hope. A wave of relief washed over her. The egg was rough and had many imperfections. The egg was dark grey like the clouds when a big storm is rolling in. Tiare carefully wrapped her clammy fingers over the egg. The egg was in her grasp. She bolted trying to get to the checkpoint. When Tiare yells the words go shave your head, I’ve found the egg. She will be the first women to ever win the Birdman Competition.

Tiare bounded to the cliffs edge and lifted the egg up to the sky. “Go shave your head, I’ve found the egg, “bellowed Tiare. It was a treacherous journey back to the sacred village of Orongo. Tiare’s feet were aching and felt like they were going to fall off. The pain was unbearable. But Tiare made it and from that day on Tiare was known as Wahine Mata Toa the great female warrior. Her story would be passed down from generations to generations.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!