War story

It all started in 1939. I was 12 years old and the war had just begun. My family and I had to flee from our house and we could only take useful possessions. It was hard leaving behind all my beloved teddies and toys. But no matter what I couldn't leave Mr Fiddles as I had him since birth.

We were too poor to afford a car because we had 9 children in the family and it was so sad seeing my little brothers and sisters stumbling as they tried to keep up. Night came, all was quiet. The ground was hard and rocky but finally we all dropped off to sleep. We woke to the sound of footsteps and as we peered into the dark we thought help was coming. "Save us! Save us!"

When they got closer we realised we were trapped by the enemy. "Run! Run!" my parents yelled to us but it was too late!

We were taken to a prison camp where we slept with alot of other people. I remember sitting there as scared as could be. They killed some of the people including my little brother Anddrew who was only 5 years old. I held Mr Fiddles tightly as we huddled together and sobbed for little Andrew. Night came but we couldn't sleep. My parents couldn't handle it any longer, they had to set someone free.

My Father started searching around for a way out and found a small crack in the wall. Because I was the oldest I was chosen to try and escape. As I said goodbye to my family I cried. Mr Fiddles had to come with me. I just got through the hole and started running in the dark. In the distance I could hear a soldier yelling "Escape! Escape!" Then I heard gun shots and knew they must have killed my beloved father.

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me and hid in the bushes. I had sprained my ankle and tried to block what had happen and sleep. The next morning early I started walking along the dusty, deserted road. Hours passed, then days and weeks and I was only surviving on passing bugs, blood from my cuts and some plants I chewed on. I felt like giving up when......

I heard cannons firing from all directions. First I was overjoyed but horrified by what I saw. The soldiers were shocked to see a child on the battlefield. With all that I had been through I felt like dying myself and just fainted from exhaustion and shock.

I awoke in a hospital along time later and around me were my family holding pictures of Andrew and my dad. There were alot of questions that needed to be answered because I had been unconscious for my months.

That was 11 years ago. I am now 23 years old and I have regained my strength mentally but I know I have to tell my story so that world will become a place of peace and noone else had to go through the pain and suffering I saw.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!