A Baby

Intertwining my fingers together, I begged for a new addition. The pregnancy test lay on my knees as I wait for two faint lines to emerge. My heart remained stilly, as I incessantly wiped my drenched palms onto the t-shirt. Time seemed to pass in increments of years. Then, there it was. The lines. The lines I have yearned for! At that moment I was filled with such ecstasy and solace to realise all our efforts paid off. I ran hurriedly out the bathroom with Geoffrey standing in front; ears against the door waiting for a reply. Inching closer to him, I throw my arms around the nape of his neck exclaiming, "Honey! A family is to come!" He stood there dumbfounded, widening his eyes. "Yeah? And I'm super thin!", whilst tapping on his plumped stomach to the beat of a drum. I spare him a few chuckles to enthuse him as I wipe away the tears of laughter before replying, "I'm serious this time!" He pulled me closer, marking an affectionate kiss on my forehead. Containing our joyous waterworks, we embrace each other to commemorate the moment.
I triumphed around the world with my blooming belly, receiving praises of congratulations from everyone whether it be at my job or on the street! They lay their hands on my baby's resting area, stroking my belly as they wish. I especially find delight when my baby kicks back! It's as if she's protecting mama and telling these strangers to "get off her". I've never been one to shy away from people's curiosity, but It feels heart-warming to know our baby's there. I really anticipate the baby's a girl! The idea of playing dress up with my daughter, talking about boy troubles and having salon sessions exhilarates me.
Then the day I dreaded to come became a reality. The frequent sensations and fluids flowing out of me weren't uncommon. Until... until the sight of crimson flowed out tattering our homely floorboards, drop by drop. I wailed out with desperation, soughting for aid, "Geoffrey!" No answer returned. Absolute emptiness. All energy drained from me, leaving me to plummet down onto the icy hard floor. Blood stained the surrounding area, seeping into the cracks of our home - engulfing me alongside it.
Then the silence of the room was interrupted with a sudden piercing plop. My vision travels to the direction of the sound, whilst my stomach begins to churn with thunderous roars. There I see. A blob with only having a formed head and tiny digits. One hand grabbed onto my stomach, and the other over my mouth to contain the screams of agony. Without another thought, I drag my body up and plop it against a wall. Leaning down, I scoop my child out the pool of tainting blood, cradling her back in forth within my arms lifeless and motionless; hoping she is only sleeping. A mere croak escaped my coarse throat. "Please please wake up." Tears streamed, leaving tangy bitterness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!