Illusionary Realms

Excellence Award in the 'National Treasures 2022' competition

Slowly sauntering down the cold, dark corridor, Muaz entered his narrow room. He rolled into his bed and got comfortable, his eyes shut and the world of reality faded away into oblivion. After a while Muaz entered the realm of illusions, the world of dreams. Something that we humans are unable to find out the reason behind. Muaz’s illusionary realm had started to materialize and his mind had placed him in the middle of a damp road. The road was in between two biomes, on his right, a forest and on his left, a moor. The air was thick with fog and there was a light drizzle of precipitation fluttering here and there.
Muaz moved forwards along the road. A dark brown sign appeared in his line of vision. He stopped about a metre or two next to the sign. On the sign in dark red paint, there was one big, round letter O. Muaz stopped, he remained stationary. He tried moving, it didn’t work. A feeling of dread had started of creep into his mind. He tried averting his gaze to no avail, his eyes were glued to it. He realised that his vision started zooming in to the letter.
There was a bright flash of white light and Muaz was transported into a void of nothingness. There was no light, there was sound, there was no gravity and there was no feeling of existence. Muaz was traumatized and his heart was racing. Suddenly the beat of his heart was amplified and echoed infinitely. Muaz could not feel feeling or sense senses. His ears ringing, his chest exploding, he fell. All his senses returned and he was not feeling anything other than pure horror. He fell and his eyes were assaulted with blinding light and an ear-splitting sound ravaged his ears. His entire existence was filled with pain. Then, it all stopped. A bright white outline of a door appeared in front of him. Muaz’s brain was filled with a feeling of relief and happiness. He trudged over to the shining door, finally, it was over.
He grabbed the door and wrenched it open. Flashing lights, the constant roar of screams. Black, white, black, white, black, white and a million times over. Repeating, never ending and torturous. Tearing the very fabric of space and time apart. Muaz was tired now, what had he done to deserve such a terrorizing punishment. Out of the void of flashing shades, a hand reached out for him. He grabbed it and was pulled with such force that he thought his arms would rip off. Then, Muaz was sitting on the warm sand of a beach. The ocean, stretching out as far as the eye could see. The sun, taking a dip into the horizon, splattering warm colours of orange, red and pink into the clouds. A perfect sunset, that one final display before the ending, before death, before everything stops. And Muaz left this world. His soul left his body.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!