Keep At It

Shaking hands picked up a set of needles. Concentrating to pull the threads in and out and getting guided by the soothing voice of grandma, the outcome had to be good. Grandma’s wrinkled old hands steadied my smooth brown ones if I was unsure, helping me to keep going. My forehead creating a tiny pool of sweat as grandma lets me finish it off myself, until...
“Oh, no,” I cried. It was my scarf I was knitting. I had undone a certain part (by accident) that made my whole creation come undone.
“It’s okay, Millie,” grandma said in her soothing voice. “Just practise, you will get the hang of it.” I knew she was right, but I found it tricky. Grandma had offered to teach me knitting every Tuesday, but I was making slow progress and it seemed impossible.
I wish I hadn’t taken on knitting. I guess I should just give up, although I do want to please grandma. I can imagine her telling me to keep persevering, even when things got tough.
The next week grandma was sick, and my knitting lesson was cancelled. I was worried about her and asked mum if we could get her flowers and a get-well card. She said yes, hence we did so. When we gave them, I told grandma about my knitting problems. “Never give up, Millie,” she told me.
The more time passed, the more I worried. Grandma had moved into hospital, and she was very sick. I’ve only visited her once, and she was not the same cheerful grandma I knew her to be. I’m going to make something to cheer her up and I know exactly how...
I took a deep breath, as I was rather nervous about knitting WITHOUT GRANDMA! I hear Grandma’s words “Never give up, Millie,” echoing in my head. As I slowly began knitting, I imagined the coloured yarn twisting itself into a rainbow. I looped the yarn in and out, until I felt something thin, and a metal prick my finger. I closed my eyes... Is it bad? I couldn’t look. What if I was bleeding?... That’s when I realised it didn’t hurt. It was just my imagination creating fear. I looked at my finger. It was the back of the needle that touched it, not the sharp bit. I was fine. I kept on knitting. I wouldn’t give up.
As I headed out of church I raced to the car, calling to the others to hurry up. We’re going to the hospital now to visit grandma. The doctor had said grandma had to stay in hospital for another week, as she wasn’t as strong as she used to be.
“This is for you,” I showed her the scarf. The rainbow colours looked beautiful, and it seemed to brighten and cheer her up.
She was very grateful and gave me a big hug. Then she whispered something in my ear; “Thank you for not giving up.”
Keep persevering. NEVER GIVE UP!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!