Viridity

Panting, chests heaving trying to withhold as much oxygen as they can to continue a normal breathing pattern. Running until your legs couldnt bare to hold your body weight any longer. Thats how most of their days started, then those long days turned into nights. Those nights were cold and bitter with nothing but the feeling of fire flaming out your nostrils and the ache in your stomach associated with stitches. Their trio were on the run for 2 years. They spent a long time running from these cold killers. Some days they would be chased by those glowing purple masks for hours on end. It was a race to freedom and safety. The trio were determined to win.
"Pick up your pace! I hear them!" Violet whisper-yelled as the bushes rattled behind them, a continous noise. No matter how far the three ran, the bushes wouldnt discard the scratchy tones radiating off them. It felt like a lion was hiding in the bush, waiting for its perfect chance to spring out and catch them.
"In which direction?" Roman asked, in the same whisper tone that threatened to attract attention if not used correctly.
Being the itellectual of the group, also knowing the consequences of being caught, Violet chose to respond with a gentle but prompting nudge to Romans arm, whilst pointing to the east.
Roman understood and nodded a silent 'thank you'.
Violet and Roman then waited for the sounds of footsteps and rustling to cease before making the agreed idea of moving to a close alcove for shelter for the night ahead. Violet grabbed the youngest girl in their trios hand, Her name was Julie, named by Violet herself.
"Guys, my legs really hurt." Juliet complained as she ran behind Roman and Violet. She was getting slower by the minute.
"We are nearly at the alcove, keep going just a little longer." Roman pleaded to the thirteen year old.
"I see it!" Violet announced, "Take a left turn and its right there!"
Both Juliet and Roman spotted the recently brought up alcove that Violet saw, but to their surprise, something didnt seem right about it. There was a familiar purple light emitting from the entrance.
"You sure thats our alcove?" Roman asked, unsure.
They all immediently stopped, and a sad sense washed over them all as they all thought the same thing,
"We've been caught."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!