OUTBACK

Dawn breaks and I am woken by beige pictures and trickling sounds from all the colourful and miraculous birds in sight. As I enthusiastically get up and out of my bed I am sighted with the view of curled and boiled fences surrounding grassy fields, leading out into the unknown distant future. I am not aware of the creatures lurking within my path but as you know, I’m used to it. As I walk out the wooden door, I can see many holes of dirt surrounded by many panes of glistening gold. As I start my morning duties, I suddenly spin around seeing rain clouds lurking towards me. As I start sprinting my way back to the house to warn my family, I trip and dramatically fall as if I am leaping off a cliff “Ahhhhhhh.” As I get firmly back on my feet all I can see is darkness. I look up and all I can see are tiny specks of light as I start to panic. My heart beats at the rhythm of a train and I start calling. “Help, help.” But all I can hear in return are bolts of lightning and thunder coming towards me. I think to myself, ‘Is this really the end, what will happen?’ As I slowly move around, I place my hand on a circular object which feels as if it’s trying to cause utter danger towards me and the magical and mysterious sources hiding within these walls. I touch it as it flickers on like a snake about to prance at its pray. I manage to get it on and realise it’s a torch and I use it to my advantage to explore and all I call see is pastel glimpses. As I slowly pace myself around the unknown summer dirt, I suddenly feel a chill brush along my body as it makes me uncomfortable. “Shhhhhhhhh,” litres of gushing water rush into the hole. Dramatically I lose breath and swim my way to the top with all my might. As I tumble out, I lay there helpless and still as I take a big deep breath in, I close my eyes to pure darkness and flickering lights...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!