The Scarlet Light

The beeps of the monitor were getting louder by the minute. The lights on the ceiling becoming more visible. The distant conversations that surrounded me becoming more audible. The pain was unbearable. I was there. Laying in a hospital bed. I was in the last place I expected after the accident. As time went on I couldn’t wait, I’m constantly trying to force my eyes open. Then I awoke to see something else.
The vision of the hospital was gone. I am still where the accident began. Looking around, the door was just in reach and I was able to escape, but I felt frozen. Every time I tried to move, my body remained still. My palms began to sweat and my legs began to shake. It was as if I was tied together with invisible rope. Looking down, I was still holding it. The whole mission itself was still in my hands. It illuminated the dark room. I give out a large sigh of relief. Slowly, my legs regained movement as I tried to move for the door. With each movement, the sharp pain in my chest became more unbearable, but I must reach my objective; to finish what I came here for. My breathing was starting to become more steady and I was regaining sight. Everything was starting to come into view. The sight of a stand where the gem I held was became more visible. I look behind me to see the alarm light flashing.
Pulling my mask over my face, I leap outside. It was empty, well for now at least. The gem remained secure as I continued to move around the area. As I moved, the sound of the officers were becoming more distinct. I reach onto a ledge and push myself upwards to avoid contact. Clutching on the treasure, I run across the rooftops jumping to avoid the traps set. The sharp pain in my chest became more distinct as I continued to move. I was straining my eyes to see my getaway car on the road becoming closer. I was about to leap over the trap in front of me, but I tripped.
I was caught inside a rope, and gas started to filled the air. My eyes were slowly closing and palms were sweating. I knew that if the gem was gone, they would let me go. Before I lost consciousness, I slide the gem off the roof. The police coming towards me were too stunned to speak. They looked up at me, their faces flaring with frustration. As they climbed to my position, the trap was released. I try to stand up, but I lost balance, my eyes closed and I fell. My arm caught onto the corner of the roof, but the sweat on my palms caused me to lose balance.
The next thing I know, I wake up in a jail cell. I see the person I least expected. The person that set me up for failure.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!