Searching For A Home

The orphans were extremely excited and it was so chaotic that Mary the nun made everyone stay in bed for the rest of the day. When It was finally nighttime all were asleep except 4. These were Fiona, the eldest at 17, her little sister Laura, 12. The other two children were best friends Charles and Edward. Charles was only 10 but Edward was 16..

Sitting on Laura’s bed, all four were whispering about a secret plan they were hatching. A plan no one else could know about. A plan to escape the orphanage. Although it was risky they didn’t want to stay in the horrible orphanage any longer. Their plan was to escape out the window when everyone was asleep and run as fast as they could so no one would know, see or hear them.

The next day at breakfast, lunch and dinner they secretly packed food to take on their journey. Finally, all in the orphanage were asleep. Laura, Fiona, Charles and Edward escaped - they were out of that horrible place, free after so many years of living in an orphanage. Not long after, a complete stranger appeared; he asked them to come with him and led them into a sweet, little cottage. The man told them they could stay as he had a couple of spare beds they could use.

One month later the man, Peter, told the kids that his wife was coming home, returning from her job that required her to stay away for months at a time. They were thrilled to meet her. Ellie was exhilarated to see the children and had a good talk with them. Edward dragged his friends into their room. Edward said he had seen her before, that she looked like his mother’s old friend and went to the kitchen to ask her. Ellie said yes she did know his mother and knew that Edward was her son. Ellie said that she died when Edward was six and told him that Phoebe was an extraordinary woman and that Edward reminded Ellie of her. After about an hour of talking Edward said thank you and left cautiously to see his friends.

“So Edward. How did it go?” Fiona and Charles asked at the same time. Edward replied with a scared voice “ i.it w..was f..f..fine.” Laura, Fiona and Charles were confused as Edward never stutters. Laura whispered to Charles, “If Edward is scared, we need to search the house. Charles nodded and when everyone was asleep they gingerly tiptoed out of their room and explored the house. Finally Charles found an attic and told Laura. Both children agreed that they should go inside but what they found was terrifying. They found a room full of costumes including one that looked like MARY. They woke up Fiona and Edward ran..

One year later Fiona bought a home for her, Laura, Charles and Edward. They didn’t need any parents to look after them, they had each other.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!