Surviving Alone

I feel my feet tap against the cold concrete, my legs were in pain, I feel like I have been running for hours, I can hear dad yelling my name. I feel like turning around and going back, but I know I can’t. The memories start coming back, dad coming home drunk and tired, yelling at me, me hiding in the basement so he didn’t hurt me. Finally, I cannot see him. I take a different route so he can’t follow behind me. I notice a small alleyway. I walk down it, laying down. I start to drift off, hoping that I don’t have any nightmares tonight.
I wake to the loud, dirty train, chugging past our town taking the coal to the main city. I only brought 20 dollars to buy food. I start my journey to the local market, trying to be as low-key as possible. I see people with dogs, men on their way to work and people carrying huge bags with fruits and vegetables. None of them acknowledge me. Good. I enter the market, smelling all different foods, seeing fresh mangos and delicious bakery breads. All I can afford is one loaf of bread and a couple apples. No one talks to me, no one sees me. I am starving. I run as fast as I can back to the alleyway. I eat the mouthwatering bread and save more for later. I notice it is getting dark, so I start to fall asleep again. I dream about mum. She died 2 years ago. Car crash. I still think about her all the time.
I feel the rain pouring down on me, stinging my skin. I have no cover and get drenched by the freezing water. My only clothes are ruined. “Hello?” a lady says.
“Hi” I say.
She hands me 50 dollars. She then smiles and walks away. “Thank you!” I yell, but she doesn’t hear it. Now I can buy a blanket for here to keep me warm. I walk to the secondhand store. I search through the store; I find a blanket and some new clothes. “Hello honey” The cashier says nicely.
“hi” I say softly.
“That will be 24 dollars” she says. I pay the money and leave the store swiftly, hoping to not be seen. Then, just as I start to walk away, “oh sorry honey!” a tall lady says to me after I accidentally crash into her. I look up at her.
“Mum?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!