A Journey To Freedom

Frozen leaves crunched below Agnus’s feet as she ambled towards the stable. Her golden hair flickering as the sun rose and the sky changed a shallow shade of pink. It was freezing and wind stirred through crops, making trees sway, whispering and howling through the air. Winters in Poland lasted long with heavy snow and hours of gale. Agnus’s family lived on a small farmstead north of Strumien. It was 1981 and life was hard, the Russians were currently ruling and food supplies were becoming scarce. Poland had become communist and employment opportunities were decreasing. Agnus’s family couldn’t get the supplies they needed, and it was too cold to grow crops. Education was rare and many children helped their parents instead.
Agnus made her way back to the cottage and withdrew her breath as she twisted the handle, making her hands ache from many blisters. The door creaked open as she stepped inside. It seemed empty, two burlywood suitcases stood in the middle of the room and other than the kitchen, the house was full of old milk crates and boxes. Since February, they’d been planning to move to Australia. It was too hard to live here anymore, and the living conditions were becoming harder. Even though it was illegal, it was worth it. With these thoughts, Agnus felt lost. Where would she live? What about her house and her horse, Wendy? And what about Grandma Suzanna?
After hours and days of packing, it was finally their chance to leave! A train that travelled to Albania, would carry them across to their so supposed ‘holiday’. The hurried family flew out the house,
“Come on! We don’t want to be late!” exclaimed her father, carrying their luggage and rushing out the door. They walked to the station, just a mile from their house and waited until the old emerald steam train arrived. Tears flushed down Agnus’s face, reflecting on the frozen lakes as she stepped into the carriage.
After days of travelling, they finally arrived at the Albanian Harbour. The stationmaster led them to the sea commander who took them to the grand Sydney harbour. They hurried towards the wooden ship…
Months later, the air tasted of salt and their mouths were as dry as the desert. The boat swayed as it carried them towards Sydney harbour and seagulls cawed to break the silence. Just as Agnus thought she was going to die of thirst, she saw land. Red sand of Australia glared back at her as the boat steered into the harbour. Bang! The plank landed on the crisp concrete, and they strode down to the ground where they found a taxi to carry them back to the immigration refuge.
‘This is it,” she thought as she opened the door and stepped inside…
The immigration refuge was difficult, employment was challenging, and English was complicated and sophisticated for Agnus’s family. Eventually they found a way, pushed through together and started to feel as though they belonged and felt free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!