Greenwich Park

The trees swayed silently as the deep, night wind whistled in her ear with stars that danced around the dark sky, blanketing over the family. There were the two colossus figures that have taken care of her for years. Bliss’ ears were deafeningly pierced by roaring shouts and screams that escaped from their mouths, with the wind howling louder and louder that she couldn’t stand it anymore. Hot tears streamed down her face like a waterfall, so much that her vision blurred, and all she could see was the muffled silhouette of her broken parents.
The warm summer breeze floated throughout Greenwich Park as Bliss smiled from ear to ear. She turned and looked up happily to her freckled mother, who clutched her hand tightly. The tall, manly figure of her father stood beside her too, graciously returning her smile. Everything was perfect. In fact, it was almost too perfect. The laughter had faded and her mother and father weren’t smiling anymore, but screaming loud, ear-wrenching screams. The wind roared louder and louder, like an untamed beast. Before she knew it, she woke up with a start, breathing faster than a cheetah, burying her face in her hands as a way to escape from this haunting memory.
10:30pm, her phone read. Her phone illuminated her puffy face as she laid down on a mattress in the middle of an empty room. Feeling overwhelmed and tired, Bliss felt like she had to leave. She needed to get away from this place, maybe it will get her away from the haunting memory. Tearing off her blanket, she tiptoed silently to the door where the faint click indicated her freedom. Stealing one quick glance at her room, she felt a pang of regret, then exited the main door where she was enveloped with the cold breeze.
Getting as far away from home as possible was a priority. A fast walk turned into a slight jog, a slight jog turned into a fast sprint. Run, her mind told her. Just run. Bliss didn’t even know where she was going, she just knew she had to run. Out of breath, she stopped to see where she was. Greenwich Park, the sign read. From reading this, she saw two figures appear in the middle of the park. Two people she least wanted to see.
Something about her parents' presence drew her closer to them, as if she was pulled by an invisible rope. As she finally got close enough to see their sorrowful faces, they immediately pulled her into a warm, genuine hug. An ocean of tears flooded her face instantly.
“We’re sorry, we didn’t mean for it to be this way.” her mother muffled.
“But why did you come here?” Bliss replied, still sulking.
“Because I needed to get away from my problems. Isn’t that why you came here?”
She nodded silently, still pressed with the arms of her parents. Bliss had a little spark of hope that things would get better.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!