The Children Of Cairo

Zuberi winced in pain as water flowed over the angry red skin of her hands.They were covered in cuts coated with dried blood. Tentatively, she placed the dish she had been washing onto the wrack. Bending down she picked up the floor mop and began scrubbing. Shooting pain traveled up her arm, but she didn’t dare stop. Not when her mistress was sitting, teacup in hand. Watching. When the floors finally gleamed crystal clear, Zuberi stood, bowed her head and clasped her hands behind her back, silently waiting. Hearing a small clink as her mistress dropped a deben into her coin purse, she muttered her thanks and left. Outside, the blazing hot Cairo sun enveloped her. “Tskk again!” she frowned. Her younger brother Abasi looked up to the sound of her voice, staring off into the distance. The fussy baby in his lap wriggled its little body. Bending down and forcing the mud from both their hands, she gently took the little bundle, thinly wrapped in a tattered old rag into her arms. Abasi stood, grasping blindly in the air before finding her other hand.They trudged along the sandy streets and soon a loud raucous filled their ears. People were bustling in and out of shops, some chattering and others arguing with lenders over merchandise. The marketplace was thriving today. Making their way to the center of the marketplace, Zuberi placed the baby on the ground. Cupping her hands around her mouth, she exclaimed “Oh people, oh people! Look!” Smiling, she pulled out a little patched ball from her pocket, threw it at Abasi and watched as he began juggling. A small crowd gathered before them. There was fascinated gasps and looks of awe as they gossiped about the peculiarity of a blind child juggling.There were two clinks as passersby placed debens into her coin purse. Just as she was exclaiming her thanks, the baby began to cry. People whirled around and cast them looks of annoyance. Flustered, Zuberi picked up the bundle and began to move away, clutching Abasi’s hands again. On the way, they stopped at a stall. The smell of freshly baked bread wafted into their noses and she groaned as her pangs of hunger intensified. Gazing at the delicious bread, her mouth watered. Then she looked at her coin purse. Only 3 deben. She was 5 deben short. Sighing with dismay, she gave the shopkeeper the 3 deben and chose half a loaf of stale bread instead. Maybe next week we can buy the bread. She thought. As the sun began to set, the children made their way to a dark dusty alley. There, on a patched cloth they lied down in the dark. A heavy sadness settled over Zuberi as she pulled out an old picture from her pocket. A woman and a man, smiling, gazed back at her. Clutching the photo to her chest, she sighed heavily and then slept, dreaming about how life would’ve been if she wasn’t an orphan.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!