The Great Rescue

It was a frosty Winter’s morning as I walked barefoot along the beach. As I stared off into the horizon just above the waves, where the dark blue sea meets the crystal blue sky, I noticed a big circular object heading for the shore. I followed its direction as it floated slowly to meet the damp sand. I immediately got excited to see it was a turtle. My heart sank as I saw that it was barley moving. I began to sprint over. It was clear to me that it had plastic from a six-pack wrapped tightly around its neck making it hard for the exhausted turtle to breathe.
Examining the turtle closer, I could see what looked to be a fish hook lodged up the poor turtles nostril. In disbelief and a flustered panic, I pulled my phone out of my bag and called the Marine Rescue Agency. I informed them of the horrific news. They said they would send a Marine Rescue team straight away.
I looked around in a panic. I managed to spot a surfer in the distance and yelled out as loud as I could, praying that he would hear and acknowledge my cries for help. He came rushing over, board under his arm, to see what all the fuss was about. Stuttering my words, I took a deep breath and asked the surfer to help me move the injured turtle out of the whitewash. I began to cry looking at the barely breathing turtle. I reassured myself that the Marine Rescuers would arrive soon.
The rescuers rushed to lift the turtle onto the backboard and cut the plastic off from around its neck. As they carried it off to their Rehabilitation and Rescue Lab, I fell to my knees, whacking them against the soft yet harsh sand. Watching the rescuers lug the turtle along the beach, I began wailing in tears of horror. I couldn't help but wonder what future awaits the poor turtle.
Four long weeks later, I woke to the sound of my phone ringing in my ear. I answered the phone and heard a soft yet confident voice. The lady informed me that she was from the Marine Rescue Agency and that the turtle had made a strong recovery. She also stated that without me, the Leatherback Sea Turtle, a species of which are on the brink of extinction, would have died. The release day was in one week and the team wanted me there.
As we walked towards the water, I felt a wave of sadness and relief as the turtle was returning home. I stood watching it slowly waddle along the sand and into the sea. Tears of joy streamed down my face. "Goodbye little one" I whispered as it smoothly swam atop the waves and disappeared into the deep blue sea.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!