The Soldier's Letter

‘4 April 1916
Southhampton Airbase
England
Dearest Mother,
I am sitting here in my tent, thinking of you back home. Tomorrow is my first mission. I went out to the airfield today and saw the planes lined up. Brand spanking new Sopwith Camels.
I’ve seen things over here that I never could have imagined from back home in London. But I also yearn to see home again. It was only 2 years ago that I found that old camera in Dad’s rusty chest. Boy has it changed my life! Here I am, now about to embark on a mission to take photos of the enemy lines from 1000 feet in the air.
What I’m most afraid of is the anti-aircraft guns that fire shells that explode into a million pieces of deadly shrapnel. I am very thankful that I have a great pilot, Henry. He lives up in Scarborough, he is the youngest of seven, all boys, most of them were at war, fighting in the front lines. But Henry is only 16, he had faked his age to get into the RAF. But he is the most skilled pilot in the whole squadron. That gives me some confidence.
My job is to take photographs of the enemy artillery positions and report back to the base where the positions were while dodging enemy anti-aircraft guns and enemy fighters. I will think of you tomorrow.
Love Robert’
‘17 April 1916
Southhampton Airbase
Dear Mrs Parkyn
We regret to inform you that your son Robert Parkyn had been captured by German forces.
He failed to return from his mission. But we have reports that he is alive and well but under German hands.
Lieutenant Cambell’
‘22 April 2022
Hahndorf Australia
Dear Great Grandpa Laurie,
We were helping grandma move to the retirement village and I found some very interesting letters in some old boxes. I think they were letters from your dad to his mum! When he was serving in World War One.
It is so amazing to think that these letters were written by my great, great grandpa in World War One. Glad I didn’t know that he was in a prisoner of war camp. We know that he must have made it back to Australia because he got married and had children. I really want to find out more about my great, great grandfather and the war. Can I come and visit you and talk about it?
Love Eli’
‘30 April 2022
Happy Valley Nursing Home
Dear Eli,
I was very excited to receive your letter. I don’t get many these days. Everyone wants to use electronic mail these days and I just can’t work out how to do it. Yes, your great, great grandfather was a very amazing man. He never seemed to talk much about the war. I can only imagine it would’ve been a very traumatic experience. How about you come and visit me and I will show you the photos that he took?
Love from Great Grandpa’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!