Step

The monotone droning of cicadas and rustling of leaves from the jungle canopy far above, drowns me in a cacophony of sound. Sunlight peeks through the swaying tree leaves blinding me in short flashes of vibrant light. Raising my calloused hand, I shield my tired eyes from the staggered barrage of light and continue plodding forwards. I place one tired yet firm footstep in front of the other whilst trying to ignore the weight of my backpack. A faint rustle in the bushes startles me to alertness. I snap my head to the right, pulling my machete from its sheath and brandishing it. Sweeping my gaze back and forth I see nothing but trees and soil. The rustling suddenly stops; I hold my breath. Nothing.
I keep moving, looking at the undergrowth with trepidation and giving it a wide berth. The cicadas' droning grows quiet, and a silence spreads over the jungle. I feel a pair of hungry eyes glare at my back. I turn around slowly. Twin orbs of golden malice catch my gaze. Its lithe body taut as a drawn bow string, muscles rippling in the confident stance of an apex predator. Black spots pepper its yellow fur like dark eyes. The beast’s body tenses and everything seems to explode into motion at once. I dive downwards as a flash of fur and claws pass overhead, a gust of air following its leap. Pushing myself up into an awkward sprinters start, I shoot off as fast as my legs can go, tendons and ligaments expand and contract in a frantic dash. As I run I barely make out the sound of something tearing through the undergrowth behind me, it's hard to hear over the sound of my breath greedily sucking up oxygen as trees blur past me. Heart in my throat, I feel my pulse throb in my neck. Shooting a glance back, the jaguar is gaining ground quickly. Turning my attention ahead, I just manage to see the ground disappear into a sharp drop as I careen over the edge, moving too fast to stop myself.
Tumbling downwards, air rushes past me as I pinwheel my arms in a fruitless attempt to escape the painful fate rapidly approaching from below. My left leg hits the ground first. Stabbing pain shoots through my leg as my ankle crunches under me. The rest of my body follows.
Hurtling forwards I slow to a stop and curl up, writhing in agony. Through the pain I catch sight of a white door in the distance, almost glowing in revenant light. A buzzing fills my ears. A pressure builds behind my eyes. Ankle forgotten, I rise to my feet. Dragging my limp leg behind me I stumble onwards in hazy awe, approaching this utter perfection. Shrugging off my pack I near the door, the buzzing rises to a crescendo as I stop just shy from it. A wide smile splits my face, stretching from ear to ear.
Arms out, I step forward.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!