The Flood Rescue

The lush green grass slept under the clear blue sky. A young and energetic girl, Erin was playing happily in the park. She was overjoyed after meeting her cheerful friends that afternoon. Erin was a brave, smart and adventurous little girl. She had an adorable baby sister, Amelia and her loving parents. Together, the family could fight anything that could break them apart. Oh! Now I forgot to introduce one more member… Fluff! He is a loyal dog who never leaves Erin’s company. She couldn’t even imagine her life without her loving family.
Erin was happily playing tag with her BFF (Best Friend Forever) Myra, at the park when the weather did a turn. The storm was thundering, and the girls screamed as ear-piercing as the lightning. Suddenly, Myra’s mother started calling out “Myra! Come home!” Myra looked at Erin and whispered “Sorry, I’ve got to go.” Erin nodded in reply. She couldn’t remember where her house was as the streets started flooding. Erin decided not to go anywhere as her parents might come at the park looking for her.
Puddles of water started rising and she felt like drowning in the water! Tears dropped through her eyes. Slowly she started to find her motion and walked through the flood. She had one choice left, climbing to the top of the park where at least there would be a little shade and safety. Suddenly, she heard a barking sound. “Fluff! I knew you wouldn’t leave me alone!” she squealed. They both climbed up to the shade.
Woof! Fluff started barking in worry. Erin had fainted! A while later, a rescuer from the State Emergency Service, hurried towards the barking sound. The rescuers searched everywhere for handy clues. They luckily found Fluff. Fortunately, as the rescuer came close to the shade, Fluff kept barking to let them know that Erin was there too. They reached by swimming and assembled the very long ladder. They climbed up the highest point to get Fluff and they found there Erin too!
They carried both the dog, and Erin all the way to the Flood Evacuation Centre. After a while, Erin mumbled “Where am I?” “Hi! I am glad you woke up, by the way, I am a SES volunteer and we have rescued you from the flooded park. This friendly dog helped us. Do you recognise him?” one of the rescuers, Jane explained. “Yes! This is my pet, Fluff!” Erin exclaimed. “Do you know your address?” Jane asked. “No, but I do know the landmark, the left side of the Council Library near the park!” Erin whispered.
The rescuers immediately contacted Erin’s mentioned location and apparently, they found her parents in worry at their home. The moment when Fluff, Erin and her parents met, everybody was in happy tears. Finally, the family was reunited. We are really blessed with the SES volunteers!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!