Four Raindrops

The smell of rain on the asphalt hung in the air, the acrid scent creating a slight haze in the sky. Raindrops splattered across the road, falling, drifting down, dancing their way across the sky, until splashing onto the road. Falling like daggers onto the skin of anyone who dared to go outside. The shroud of misery covering the usual warm hug of the sun. All the meanwhile, Tyler slept soundly in his mother’s arms, oblivious to what was to come.
The water lapped against the side of the house, sloshing against the columns keeping the house at the necessary height needed to survive in high-risk areas. It flowed down the streets in a dangerous current, daring anyone to venture in. It consumed the cars that strayed in, thousands of rescue crews needed to save those in danger. Tyler pressed his face against the window, staring out at the endless miles of water, somewhat entertaining him. It looked innocent, yet terrifying.
The large channel of water had grown higher, leaking into the house, swirling about like a wild caged animal. It had accumulated dirt and debris, germinating the water. Tyler’s mother tore open the front door and drew in a sharp intake of breath. The neighbouring houses had been severely destroyed. Rubble floated along the stream; houses abandoned. Tyler’s mother lifted him up high with one hand, raising him onto the roof. Tyler was terrified, it was too much for his brain to understand. He heard his father’s panicked voice speak into his phone, requesting a rescue boat.
As dusk came, the water grew higher still, spilling onto the roof. The darkness enveloped the flood, giving Tyler comfort from the sinister mass of liquid swirling at his feet. His mother rocked him in her arms, swaying him to sleep. But sleep did not come. Tyler stared out at the black expanse, into the inky blanket of the night. Soon, Tyler couldn’t tell the difference between his closed eyes and the sky, as the clouds obstructed the faint glow of the moon. The veil of sleep was draped over Tyler, and his mind entered the peaceful world of dreams.
As dawn’s rosy fingers crept across the sky, Tyler was woken by the sound of a blaring engine. The sun danced across the horizon, bringing with it a new day. An orange dot swayed in the distance, floating along the eerie waters. The tip of the roof barely visible due to the water swallowing the house. The orange rescue boat drew closer, coming to a stop beside the roof. Tyler realized what was happening. He didn’t want to leave. Leave the thousands of memories swallowed by the dark expanse of water. He reached out his arms longingly, as his father lifted him onto the boat. It pulled away, leaving Tyler to stare at his once house, tears trickling down his cheeks, only adding to the flood. Four lone raindrops fell, and the house was entirely obscured from view.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!