Life Goes On...

A faint smell of dust travelled into my nose. ‘A-achoo!’ I rubbed my nose. ‘Where am I?’ I asked myself. I was in a strange building. Surrounding me were rugged, brick walls. They looked like they had never been painted. I was lying down in a small, rough bed with other beds beside me. They were not comfortable at all. ‘I see you're finally awake.’ A voice behind me echoed. I turned around to see a tall lady wearing a stylish blue gown with matching blue high heels. ‘Wh-Who are you?’ I asked. ‘I am the head of this orphanage.’ ‘Orphanage!’ I exclaimed. ‘Why would I be in an orphanage?’ ‘I hate to tell you this, but your whole family has passed away in a fire accident.’ She admitted. Big, fat tears started wobbling down my face. ‘I will come back to you when you’re ready. Also, my name is Miss Pearls. I was a good friend of your parents.’ Minutes passed, and I wanted to see Miss Pearls again for some reason. I walked into the narrow corridor to see lots of doors on the wall. At the end of the corridor, I saw a door with a golden door sign that said 'Miss Pearls'. Below it was written, 'Head Worker'. I knocked on the door. *Knock Knock* ‘Come’, Miss Pearls bellowed. ‘Umm, hi Miss Pearls. Sorry for being so rude before. Umm, by the way, my name is Emma.’ ‘It’s all right, Emma. I know you are frustrated that your parents have passed away. I am too. I miss talking to your parents about when you and your siblings were just tiny little babies.’ Miss Pearls explained. ‘Come with me, let me show you around the orphanage.’ She held out her hand behind her back. I reached out and held her hand in mine. ‘Not a lot of children come here.’ ‘Yes, I see that.' I said in reply. ‘This orphanage is really quite small. It only has my office, a few dorms, the medical room that you were in just a few minutes ago, and an entry door that is just impossible to find! It's one of the doors next to the dorms that leads you outside.’ ‘Do you have anyone else besides me, Miss Pearls?’ I enquired. ‘Actually, yes, yes I do. Follow me.’ She opened one of the dorms’ doors. ‘Emma, meet Jasmine’, Miss Pearls introduced. Happy tears started forming in my eyes, as well as Jasmine’s. ‘What’s wrong, Emma and Jasmine?’ Miss Pearls asked. ‘Jasmine is my best friend, but then I lost her.’ I said, my voice cracking. ‘Yeah’, replied Jasmine. I ran to Jasmine and immediately hugged her. ‘I missed you so much, Jas!’ I squealed. ‘Me too!’ Jasmine exclaimed as she hugged me right back. Just then, I knew my days as an orphan living in the orphanage would do me good. Especially with my best friend and the best teacher ever living with me for probably most of my life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!