The Family Jewel

Thud! Thud! Thud! Maria Silver, a ten-year-old girl, spun around with surprise and was taken aback by the noise. Her copper hair, spread down to her waist, was waving in the wind. She was in a safe room with arch-shaped windows laid in the stone wall. A diamond-like glass case glimmered, firmly planted into a slab of rock, carved neatly into place. Inside the case was a velvet red cushion with decorative golden tassels, laid on the surface of the rock. On top of the cushion, resting like a precious baby, was a flaming red ruby. Maria’s ancestors had found it in Redland Mine. The ruby stone was deeper than fire, brighter than light. Maria stepped towards the gemstone, feeling pulled to the gem. “There’s nothing to worry about,” thought Maria, forcing her doubts to disappear in the light that streamed through the open windows. Walking out of the room, she did not notice a cunning shadow figure looming over her.
Maria clambered into her bedroom, finding Blair, her sister, not in her bed. With a frown, she settled in her own bed, the afternoon sun shimmering through the arch-shaped window. Bub, Maria’s older brother woke up and clambered down the ladder of the three-bunk bed. “Goodness!” Bub shouted, sprinting towards the door.
In the dining room, Blair sat quietly, her face as red as a tomato. Blair had her chestnut brown hair tied up into a tight bun. Her hazel-brown eyes glared at Maria. Maria’s mum and dad came into the room, hand in hand, and placed down the plates. “We’ve heard the news,” Dad responded. “Yes, the ruby’s gone,” Mum replied.
Maria choked. Blair spread a scroll, written in bold words: Maria. “I’ve tracked her scent, voice, and footsteps in this test,” Blair retorted. “Maria,” Mum replied. “You must hand it over, in 24 hours, or else.”
Maria trudged through the safe room which had a timer hung on the wall above her head. Her heart was thumping, as cold sweat drained down her cheeks. Maria lunged for one of the bricks that stood loosely in position. “What are you doing?” a shadow approached. Maria shivered with fright. “What if I can’t find it?” Maria thought, doubt rushing through her lungs. Sobbing, she fell asleep with despair. “Will I find it?” Maria whispered desperately.
Maria woke in surprise as she saw a flaming gem in front of her. Confusion troubled her, as she finally remembered what her dad said that morning. “Remember, today is Maria’s chance of true love in the family,” her dad stated, staring at Maria. Getting up, Maria sprinted back to the dining room, filled with glee and excitement. Her courage finally returned. “I didn’t steal Mum,” Maria honestly replied. Mum smiled. Maria now knew that it was not her fault, and she passed an important test. Dad leaned forward and handed a badge reading: Maria Silver. “Congratulations,” Dad announced. “You’ve passed the test of true love in the family.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!