Nightmare

I glanced at the desk calendar. April 1 it read. Merlin’s Birthday, I thought as I slumped into the comfy armchair in the corner of my room, shuddering as I relived the nightmare that I had five years ago.

“I’m leaving.” Merlin said abruptly
“What? You can’t do that!” Mum and Dad said.
“I can and I will and no-one can stop me. I’m 18 so I can legally move out.”
“B-but… why?”
“I’m tired of all these rules and restrictions. I’m tired of being bossed around all my life. I’ve endured it for years, and I just can’t keep bearing this anymore.”
“Well then, where will you go?”
“To the Twilight Caverns where no one will bother me and I will be free to practise magic. At last I can have the freedom to explore the extent of my abilities without accidentally setting the house on fire. At last I’ll have the freedom to experiment and can freely learn without any hindrances or waiting for others. At last I will be able to realise my ambitions.”

I’ve been living in a nightmare for five years. I can’t go on like this. For five years my parents told me he was “on holiday”. For five years I have waited for his return. For five years my parents have lied to me. I can’t wait any longer. If he won’t return, I will go find him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!