Digger

When you see things that might shock you or surprise you; you may have feelings that you can't express. Some things can fly by and not stay for long, while others are permanent, and sink deep down into our souls. The ones who seek may find hope and can be eager for what may lay ahead.
This is a story about a dog. There is no happy ending to it. Just sadness.
This dog's name was Digger. When I first met Digger he was no more than six months old. He was the type of dog who was small and uncommon. Digger was skinny compared to his older brother, Bosco (who is still alive today). Bosco and Digger were the best of mates. This very unusual species has what may look like a brown chest plate, which is surrounded by a jet black jumper that reflects back off the beaming white sun.
One fine day when Digger was a puppy it turned out to be not so fine after all. I might not have known what was going on as I was only a baby, but Digger got hit by a car. There was a faint bang. My Mum ran as fast as a bolt of lightning carrying me in her hands. We looked down at Digger in shock and ran to the car. He was immediately sent to the vet and this felt like it took forever.
When we arrived at the vet, Digger was in excruciating pain. He had to be isolated from his brother, Bosco, which tore both of their hearts apart. Six months later Digger had healed.
Only ten years old and death struck him like lightning. Actually, one day over ten - a choking hazard. Standing there in shock, we did not know what to do. The intensity burned in the face of fear. His tongue started getting lighter. We ran straight to the car like cheetahs and time was ticking and Digger was in more pain than ever. When we arrived at the vet all hopes were done. A big chunk of metal could not kill Digger, but a piece of meat did. When we arrived home Bosco was looking forward to seeing Digger, but he was not there. Wishing Digger was there he would sit in front of our wooden door and wait for him.
On ANZAC Day with the flags at half-mast we remember those brave troops that fought in the war, my family also remembers Digger because ANZAC Day was his birthday.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!