My Mum

“Mum,” my thirteen year old self called, hastily re-wrapping the envelope-which had printed on it the logo-of Katherine High School. “Mum; there’s a post for you!”
“Oh Estella what’s it with you toda-,” but before-she could finish, I had-blindfolded my mother’s eyes. My palm lay softly on her face.
“Come…just- follow me,” For the first time, my-words fluttered in the morning breeze like butterflies. My mum’s-blue-shirt glittered-in the-sunshine.
“If this is a regular old bill-,” mum smiled.
“Okay, three, two, one…tada!”
Eyes the size of Halloween-pumpkins, mum snatched the-envelope from my hands and gaped at it. For what seemed like a year, her eye contact with the letter was broken, by me waving in-her face. The gape turned into a-smile.
“Darling!” my mum mouthed, pointing at the lavish envelope. “This?”
My head lolled up and down, nodding. The next thing I knew was I was calling her name.
“Mum!” I called. “Mum!”
“Miss, miss, miss…,” a policeman grabbed me by the shoulders and shoved them behind me.
“My mum…she was at the grocery store in the morning to buy me a reward and she hasn’t come back since! I came-I don’t know-anywhere, trying to look for her and now I…I don’t even know where I am! Sir, it’s getting dark and I need to get back home to find my mother! Help me, please…,” I screeched with blurry eyes which were now starting to water.
The policeman hesitantly let go of me. Behind him was a large police van and a smashed, glittery, dark-blue car which appeared to have undergone an accident…
“IS THAT MY MUM’S CAR?” I demanded an urgent answer.
The officer took off his glossy cap and placed it across his wide chest in resentment. I know what that means. I wish they hadn’t taught me this in school when-we-were-talking about the world wars, because then I wouldn’t have been drowned under water.
Suddenly I fall on my knees. I start thumping the concrete road with my fists. I urged to kill the road like it killed my mother.
“Was there another guy involved? What happened to him?”
“He also died on impact, miss.”
“Good.”
I burst out laughing. Then my laugh turns into a frown. Then that frown turns into a look of guilt and that’s when everything stops. My pulse is a child, using the slide-one turn after the other. Up the ladder, down the slide. My eyesight hasn’t acted up like this before: spinning like kids on the merry-go-round. My head smashes down, gazing at the last thing it gazed at, for the last time that early Saturday night.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!