Partners In Crime

“I’m not going to end up in heaven,” she murmurs, registering the taste of blood in her mouth. “And to be honest, I made my peace with that when we first started this.”
“I’m not prepared to lose you today, Deana.” Carson’s face is grim, his mouth set in a firm line. “Or any day, for that matter,” he adds, applying more pressure to the bullet wound in her side. She clenches her hands into fists, letting her head rest against the stack of boxes behind her. They had fled to the storage room after the shootout with the police had turned ugly.
She closes her eyes for a few seconds, focussing on keeping her breathing even.
“They’ll be here soon, Carson,” she whispers. “You should go.” She forces her eyes open to see him shake his head vehemently.
“I’m not leaving you.”
“You have to. I’m going to die whether you stay or go.” She places a hand over his bloodied ones and squeezes them, trying to emphasise her point.
He stays silent for a few seconds. “Then I’ll stay, because I don’t want you to be alone.”
She lets out a soft sigh. Her eyelids are heavy, and she lets them slip closed.
“—na! Deana! You’re not leaving me, alright? Stay with me.” He gives up trying to keep pressure on the wound and cups her face in his hands.
“‘M sorry,” she rasps.
“You’re going to be okay.”
She huffs a scornful laugh and he swallows hard. Tears begin to slip out of his eyes.
“Please Deana, I can’t lose you.”
He presses his forehead against her own, breathing unsteadily. She wants to reassure him, but her own breathing has turned fast and shallow.
The sound of marching feet reaches their ears.
“They’re coming. Oh god, Deana.”
“I’m sorry, Carson, I’m sorry—God help me, I don’t want to die!”
“I know, Deana. This—this wasn’t meant to happen.”
He keeps talking, but the ringing in her ears drowns him out. Her eyes slip closed. Carson instantly knows they won’t open again.
“I love you,” she whispers with her last breath.
Carson’s face scrunches up with tears. He rocks back and forth, forehead pressed against hers. He doesn’t attempt to stop the wail that builds up inside him.
The door bursts open, shouts and orders filling the air. He presses a kiss to her forehead.
“Deana, Deana, no! Stay with me—we can get out here. We can escape them just like we always do…” he trails off into sobs. His hands shake as they clutch her face.
Gloved hands grab him and start pulling him away from her.
“Deana, please—I’m sorry—Deana—”
They half drag him towards the door. He glances back to see her body slide sideways and slump to the floor.
“Carson Davenport, you are under arrest for three counts of murder, five counts of assault on police officers…”
The sound of his heart shattering drowns out the rest of the officer’s words.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!