Asylum

Finalist in the 'Unleashed 2022' competition

Karrot Willwither’s eyes meandered around, finally settling on the fluff rug of his hotel.
He was invited to stay in the hotel after protecting his friends from a terrorist attack. Of course, he had enemies; there was a ‘gang’ of people who were determined to fill the world with brutes. The head of them lived right under Karrot.
Karrot stood up from his grey armchair and trudged along to his pet pigeon. The grey bird always helped. Karrot stroked him adoringly. Its yellow, glimmering eyes beamed right back at him. Some days were merely morose. Too much contemplation, he guessed.
Karrot gazed around the room. Something felt wrong but he couldn’t put his finger down on it. The beige walls that usually stored goodness now shivered. The paintings swayed ominously as the fireplace’s cosy crackling dimmed out - its warmth freezing to melancholy.
The whole room darkened, barricading his vision. At one point, his leather shoes struck the edge of a chair.
Thud!
His head hit the timber floor. Karrot rubbed his temple and looked ahead as the light appeared again.
His heart raced a beat. An open arm was sprouted from the floor, appearing devoid of life. Small, red, glowing crevices covered the arm like wrinkles. It was the colour of pure black like cold ashes, leaving sparks and soot in its wake.
A second hand shot out. It carried the same crumpled texture but with a ragged, maroon piece of cloth wrapped around it. Then the body’s head exposed itself.
Revenant Zar! A panicked cry escaped Karrot’s throat. It was the head of the so-called ‘gang’.
Zar’s head was belaboured - his eyes literally bloodshot. Only part of his body materialised. Orange ‘veins’ glowered from his gaunt head. Dark energy seeped everywhere.
Behind his worn out hood, parched lips rasped blatantly.
“You know, Karrot Willwither, I’ve observed you,” he paused suspensefully, “LEAVE!” a hoarse scream echoed. Karrot cowered back in fear. Zar let out a raucous laugh.
“I might miss you,” Revenant Zar sneered. Karrot opened his mouth but nothing was emitted.
Pitch black engulfed everything. The ground moaned as the world seemed as if it was splitting and contravening what might’ve been peace. Then Karrot sighted a scattered pile of ashes. And the lights flickered. And the world was taped together. Then and then only he knew.
He had no time. Literally.
Karrot had to leave this place.
NOW!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!